Designing a Height and Distance Adjustable Spring-Loaded Projectile Launcher

In summary: I'm thinking about building a catapult instead.In summary, the student's teacher told him that trebuchets are not very effective, but he decided to make a projectile launcher anyway because he is interested in the mathematics of the device. He needs to be able to adjust the angle, and he doesn't have enough time to pump air into the launcher between launches. He is thinking about building a catapult instead.
Penguin10
Projectile Launcher Ideas?

I was originally going to make a trebuchet, but my teacher informed me that trebuchets are not very effective, though accurate if made right. I decided to make a spring loaded projectile launcher, yet I can't find any material lists or designs on the Internet. The launcher will need to be height and distance adjustable. It needs to be able to be launched within 2-6m, 2.5m height limit, and a 10cm-1m platform range

Physics news on Phys.org

But trebuchets are so cool! I think there some kind of rule that if you're on the internet you have to love trebuchets! Does your teacher hate computers or something?
J/K

Seriously, what did s/he mean "not very effective"? In what respect?

The mathematics of trebuchets are very well developed and much more interesting than for springs.

My guess is that a spring-loaded device would be much less repeatable than a trebuchet, meaning more stochastic in actual practice (more subject to random statistical variations). That's just my engineering gut-feel.

With a stiff spring it will be hard to make sure you store the exact same amount of energy every time, and a weak spring will require more movement when releasing the energy, giving rise to variations in friction. Aiming will be a challenge unless the projectile travels thru a barrel, but then you will have friction that, again, will be rather stochastic.

What is the mass of the projectile?

I'm using a racquet ball. I don't know the mass of that. I might end up doing a trebuchet anyway since I have all the plans and materials drawn out. I don't really know what he meant by ineffective, though

A pneumatic device will be much more accurate and powerful than a spring-loaded device. Plus the sound makes it fun! All you need is some PVC pipe, a quick release valve, and a pump.

Could you explain what it looks like and how it works?

It is just a tank, a quick-release valve, and a barrel. Pump a bunch of air under pressure into the tank, drop your ball down the barrel, release the valve, and thump! You can find plans and details all over the internet:

http://www.duke.edu/~jwc13/tennisball.html

Last edited by a moderator:

I need to be able to adjust the angle, however. The pneumatic device looks accurate, but I have to launch it from a distance. Also, I probably don't have enough time to pump air into it between launches.

Related to Designing a Height and Distance Adjustable Spring-Loaded Projectile Launcher

What is a projectile launcher?

A projectile launcher is a device used to launch or propel objects through the air. It typically consists of a launching mechanism, such as a spring or compressed air, and a barrel or tube where the projectile is placed.

What are some possible materials for a projectile launcher?

Some common materials for a projectile launcher include wood, plastic, metal, and PVC pipes. It is important to choose materials that are strong enough to withstand the force of launching the projectile and are safe to use.

What is the purpose of a projectile launcher?

A projectile launcher has various purposes, including entertainment, experimentation, and education. It can be used for launching objects for fun, testing the trajectory of projectiles, or demonstrating principles of physics and engineering.

How do you calculate the distance and velocity of a projectile launched from a launcher?

The distance and velocity of a projectile launched from a launcher can be calculated using the equations of motion and taking into account factors such as the angle of launch, initial velocity, and air resistance. These calculations can be done using mathematical formulas or through experimentation.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a projectile launcher?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when using a projectile launcher. These may include wearing protective gear, such as goggles, and ensuring that the launcher is pointed in a safe direction. It is also important to use appropriate projectiles and to never aim the launcher at people or animals.