Designing a Circuit with Decoders and Muxes for Aisle Sale Indication

• Thread starter mossfan563
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decoder
In summary, the store owner has a switch that can be set from 0-7 and has a 3-bit output representing the switch position in binary. A second switch can be set up or down and has a single bit output that is 1 when the switch is up and 0 when down to indicate that no aisles have a sale. The store owner has a switch that can be set from 0-7 and has a 3-bit output representing the switch position in binary. A second switch can be set up or down and has a single bit output that is 1 when the switch is up and 0 when down to indicate that no aisles have a sale.
mossfan563
There's a store owner who has 8 aisles numbered 0-7. Each aisle has a light above it to indicate if that aisle has a sale. Only one light can be on at a time. The store owner has a switch that can be set from 0-7 and has a 3-bit output representing the switch position in binary. A second switch can be set up or down and has a single bit output that is 1 when the switch is up and 0 when down to indicate that no aisles have a sale. Design a circuit using decoders and muxes.

From what I read, I was thinking of using an 3-bit 8 to 1 mux to a 3 to 8 decoder. The only reason I'm hesitant because I'm not sure how the output of the mux goes to the decoder. Does that sound feasible? If not, what would work better?

Physics news on Phys.org
mossfan563 said:
There's a store owner who has 8 aisles numbered 0-7. Each aisle has a light above it to indicate if that aisle has a sale. Only one light can be on at a time. The store owner has a switch that can be set from 0-7 and has a 3-bit output representing the switch position in binary. A second switch can be set up or down and has a single bit output that is 1 when the switch is up and 0 when down to indicate that no aisles have a sale. Design a circuit using decoders and muxes.

From what I read, I was thinking of using an 3-bit 8 to 1 mux to a 3 to 8 decoder. The only reason I'm hesitant because I'm not sure how the output of the mux goes to the decoder. Does that sound feasible? If not, what would work better?

For the 8 --> 3 function, can you use a priority encoder? You can use Google Images for find more info it you aren't familiar with them.

berkeman said:
For the 8 --> 3 function, can you use a priority encoder? You can use Google Images for find more info it you aren't familiar with them.

No, I can't use a priority encoder. I have to start with basics. I can't use encoders. Only decoders and multiplexers.

mossfan563 said:
No, I can't use a priority encoder. I have to start with basics. I can't use encoders. Only decoders and multiplexers.

Hmm. Well, going from 8-->1 via a MUX isn't going to help you make a 3-bit input for the output demux.

[STRIKE]I'm not sure this will work, but think of a N --> 1 MUX as an OR gate. Write out a truth table for forming the 3 bit code for the 8-position switch, and see if you could use the OR function to make each of the 3 output bits from the 8 input bits...[/STRIKE]

EDITING...

Okay, I think the best hint I can give you is to make that truth table, and think about how you can use a MUX per desired output bit in the 3-bit code. Look at the table and see how many "1"s contribute to making a "1" for each bit. Does that suggest what kind of MUX(s) to use?

Last edited:
Isn't this just a one package circuit? Run given three bits into a decoder and use the other switch for the EN input? Am I missing something?

LCKurtz said:
Isn't this just a one package circuit? Run given three bits into a decoder and use the other switch for the EN input? Am I missing something?

Oh yeah, I think you're right. I misread the OP and thought it was SP8T switch. But re-reading it, you are correct that the switch has a 3-bit output, so all he needs is the 3:8 decoder and some enable logic... Thanks for catching that.

The store owner has a switch that can be set from 0-7 and has a 3-bit output representing the switch position

Thank you guys! I really appreciate it!

Related to Designing a Circuit with Decoders and Muxes for Aisle Sale Indication

1. What is the difference between a decoder and a multiplexer (MUX)?

A decoder is a combinational logic circuit that converts coded inputs into coded outputs. It typically has multiple inputs and a smaller number of outputs. A MUX, on the other hand, is a digital circuit that selects one of several inputs and forwards it to a single output line. It typically has multiple inputs and a single output.

2. How does a decoder work?

A decoder works by examining the input code and activating one of its output lines based on the code's value. Each output line corresponds to a unique combination of input signals, and only one of the output lines is active at a time.

3. What are the applications of a decoder?

Decoders have many applications, such as in memory systems, address decoding, data routing, and demultiplexing. They are also used in various electronic devices, including calculators, digital watches, and remote controls.

4. What are the advantages of using a MUX?

MUX's have several advantages, including reduced complexity and cost compared to using multiple individual switches, faster switching since only one input is selected at a time, and the ability to implement logical functions using a smaller number of gates.

5. How are decoders and MUX's related?

Decoders and MUX's are related in that they both involve the selection of one output from multiple inputs. In a decoder, the output is determined by the input code, while in a MUX, the output is determined by the selection of one input line. Additionally, a MUX can be constructed using a decoder and a demultiplexer.