Design Analysis Needed: Tire Stand Stress Analysis

In summary: After that, you will need to do some initial stress analysis. You can use the program to calculate the maximum load that the stand could support, and the resulting stress on the members. You can also calculate the shear and tensile stresses on the members.
hail_thy_gt
Hello all,

New here. Hopefully I'm following the guidelines by posting here.

So, I am in need of some help in analyzing a stand that I am designing. It has an unusual arch in the middle supported by four members; together they make a tire stand. My tire is 40inches in width. And the stand will be holding 5000 pounds, so I'm using 80 ksi steel as a result.

I am unsure as to where to begin my stress analysis, so that I know the thickness and appropriate dimensions I need to use.

I am attaching the image of my design.

I appreciate in advance to folks that are willing to help.

Attachments

• IMG_20130620_182519.jpg
    IMG_20130620_182519.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 431
Engineering news on Phys.org
One thing that immediately draws my attention is the feet should be tied together to resist spreading. It also wouldn't hurt to increase the contact surface area of the feet to better distribute the load. The arched design is very good, but, not economical. I envision a pipe half or rolled plate with angle iron or square tubing. Making maximum use of stock material shapes minimizes fabrication time.

Hey Chronos,

Appreciate the reply.

I think I will be taking those suggestions and updating the design, but in regards to the arch, I have to stick with that idea. This stand will be in a showroom, and it has to have some sort of an appeal, or else a jack design would have suffice.

I would appreciate if you can further shed light on how to analyze the stress distribution, so I can adjust the dimensions.

Thanks in advance.

I've only done this using FEA software. The first thing you will need is a CAD drawing. Here is a link to Freecad, which is pretty good [and free]: http://www.freecadweb.org/. Next, you need a FEA program. LISA is pretty good, free, and accepts Freecad imports: http://lisafea.com/.

Related to Design Analysis Needed: Tire Stand Stress Analysis

1. What is the purpose of a tire stand stress analysis?

A tire stand stress analysis is performed to determine the structural integrity and load-bearing capacity of a tire stand. It helps identify potential weak points and design flaws that could lead to failure or safety hazards.

2. How is a tire stand stress analysis conducted?

A tire stand stress analysis typically involves computer-aided engineering (CAE) software to simulate various load scenarios and analyze the results. It may also include physical testing and measurements to validate the simulation results.

3. What factors are considered in a tire stand stress analysis?

The factors considered in a tire stand stress analysis include the material properties of the stand, the load it is designed to support, the environment it will be used in, and any potential external forces that may act upon it.

4. What are some common failure modes identified in a tire stand stress analysis?

Some common failure modes identified in a tire stand stress analysis include buckling, bending, and shear stress. These can occur due to excessive load, material fatigue, or inadequate design.

5. How can the results of a tire stand stress analysis be used?

The results of a tire stand stress analysis can be used to make design improvements and modifications to ensure the stand can withstand the expected loads and usage. It can also be used to validate the safety and reliability of the tire stand before it is put into use.