Design a 1000Kg Hydraulic Scissors Lift

• Thread starter Vaibhav Mestri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design Lift
In summary, the design of this scissors lift appears to be flawed. The actuator position may need to be changed, and the closed height must be increased.
Vaibhav Mestri
Hello guys

I want to fabricate hydraulically operated scissors lift.
I preformed calculations & fabricated same but unfortunately it didn't work.
Can anybody help me out to design it again.
Required specifications are
Maximum load: 1000Kg
Open height: 1500mm
Closed height: less than 375 mm

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you give us the details of what didn't work, it will probably be more useful to you in the future to learn what kept it from working.

Likes billy_joule
Actully I am concerned about actuator position. I tried couple of positions for actuator but didn't work.
All the time in trial run arms bent.
Also I am not sure whether my calculations for arms & rest of the structure were correct. Can anybody help out
with complete design from beginning.

Vaibhav Mestri said:
Hello guys

I want to fabricate hydraulically operated scissors lift.
I preformed calculations & fabricated same but unfortunately it didn't work.
Can anybody help me out to design it again.
Required specifications are
Maximum load: 1000Kg
Open height: 1500mm
Closed height: less than 375 mm

Thanks in advance

Vaibhav Mestri said:
Actully I am concerned about actuator position. I tried couple of positions for actuator but didn't work.
All the time in trial run arms bent.
Also I am not sure whether my calculations for arms & rest of the structure were correct. Can anybody help out
with complete design from beginning.

Welcome to the PF.

What is your design background? Do you have a degree in ME, or some other degree? What kinds of things have you designed and built in the past?

What will this lift be used for? Can you provide some context?

I have done BE Mechanical from University of Mumbai India. I have worked as design engineer in couple of companies,
Now I run my own workshop to manufacture & repair hydraulic cylinders. I have experience in designing hydraulic actuators.
This is kind of new project I am working on. This scissors lift is to be used for moving goods from on place to other in warehouse.
I saw many images & video on internet for actuator position in scissors lift, I found it to be placed in many different positions.
What is the best position to place it. Do I need to start calculations assuming cross section of arm & check it for bending?

I am attaching here pdf file for your reference. It shows how I made it & where it failed.

Attachments

• scissors lift.pdf
    174.1 KB · Views: 1,000
I suspect that, where n is the number of stages, the axial force on the hydraulic cylinder will be about 2n times the load being lifted. The cross bar where the rod end attaches needs to have a better designed profile so as to distribute that high load, (1000kg * 2 * 3 = 6000kg), to the sides of the scissors.

Your picture shows pins being used across the machine. Torque tubes should be used to join the two sides of the machine.

You might consider using two cylinders in parallel, one on each side of the machine.

If I make cylinder to pull the arm upward than pushing it from down like it is now will make difference?

Vaibhav Mestri said:
If I make cylinder to pull the arm upward than pushing it from down like it is now will make difference?

It would not be better. Cylinders work better when they push.

The problem is that the cylinder force is applied at approximately 90° to a diagonal member. That member must be strong enough to transfer that force. The member that bears the force could be reinforced to handle the load.

You should do a force analysis of the entire , mechanism in a variety of positions. Then, based on the calculated forces, design the members to take the required forces, with a generous safety factor.

Bear in mind also that near any point of load application, such as a connection pin, cylinder attachment, etc. the stress distribution will be much more complicated than that predicted by a simple stress analysis.

You may have better luck if you can increase the closed height. Try it with just to stages and see if you can get the height.

Related to Design a 1000Kg Hydraulic Scissors Lift

1. How does a hydraulic scissors lift work?

A hydraulic scissors lift works by using fluid pressure to raise and lower a platform. When the handle is pumped, it forces fluid into the cylinder, which then pushes the piston up, causing the scissors mechanism to expand and raise the platform. When the handle is released, the fluid is released back into the reservoir, and the platform lowers.

2. What is the maximum weight that a 1000kg hydraulic scissors lift can lift?

A 1000kg hydraulic scissors lift can lift up to 1000kg or 1 ton of weight. However, it is important to note that the weight capacity of the lift may vary depending on the design, materials used, and maintenance of the lift.

3. How does a hydraulic system handle the weight of a 1000kg load?

A hydraulic system can handle the weight of a 1000kg load by utilizing the principle of Pascal's Law. According to this law, pressure applied to a confined fluid is transmitted equally in all directions. This means that the force applied to the smaller piston (pump) is multiplied and transmitted to the larger piston (lift), allowing it to lift the heavy load.

4. What are the advantages of using a hydraulic scissors lift?

One of the main advantages of using a hydraulic scissors lift is its ability to lift heavy loads with relative ease. It also provides a stable and secure platform for working at heights. Additionally, hydraulic lifts are compact, require minimal maintenance, and have a long lifespan, making them a cost-effective solution for various lifting needs.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a hydraulic scissors lift?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be considered when using a hydraulic scissors lift. These include properly maintaining the lift and following the manufacturer's instructions, ensuring that the lift is on a stable and level surface, using the appropriate weight capacity for the lift, and wearing appropriate personal protective equipment. It is also essential to have proper training and supervision when operating the lift to avoid accidents or injuries.