Deriving the Heat Equation with Exponential Term: Can We Solve for exp(theta)?

In summary, the book says that the function exp(\theta) = \frac {a}{cosh^2(b \frac{+}{-} \sqrt \frac{a*y}{2} * x')} is the final result of solving equation 1 for the function
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble deriving the following equation

[tex] \frac {\partial^2 {\theta}}{\partial {x'^2}} = -y^2*exp(\theta) [/tex]

and y = x/x'

my main problem is the exponent

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Normally i would use the equation

(x')'' + k^2*x' = 0

x' = c1 * cos(kx') + c2 * sin (kx')

can I rearrange the equation as

[tex] \frac {\partial^2 {\theta}}{\partial {x'^2}} + y*exp(\theta) = 0 [/tex]

and solve for exp(theta)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what are you trying to derive? do you mean solve the differntial equation

and what does y = x/x' represent? what is x differentiated w.r.t in the equation to give x' ?

ok, so ignore the first post please

the equation is

[tex] \frac { d^2 \theta }{d x'^2 } = -y *exp(\theta) [/tex] eq. 1

first off, this is a steady state model. meaning, we consider the pre-explosion temperature to be small in comparison with the absolute temperature of the walls:[tex] \frac {\Delta T}{T} << 1 [/tex]

2nd, the reaction rate only depends on the deperature in accordance with exp(-E/RT)

3rd we regad the thermal conductivity of the walls as being infinitely large.

x' = x/r is the nondimensionalization of x, r is the half length (i.e radius for cylinder), not the derivative, for -L < x < L we have -1 < x' < 1. x' drops unit (i.e m, cm, ..)

theta is the nondimensionalization of temperature [tex] \theta = \frac {E}{RT^2_a} *(T - T_a) [/tex]

y (although i used a different variable) is known as the frank kamenetskii parameter

[tex] y = \frac {Q}{d}*\frac {E}{R*T^2_a}*r^2*z* exp(\frac {-E}{RT_a}) [/tex]

E: activation energy
T_a: ambient temperature
Q: heat released
z: frequency of particle collision
r: radius or half width (depending on geometry)
R: gas constant
d: thermal conductivity

all uniform except Q, i think..

the book solves the differential equation 1, analytically, for a function [tex] \theta = f(y,x') [/tex] in case of high activation energy E. RT<<E

the book gives the following result.

[tex] exp(\theta) = \frac {a}{cosh^2(b \frac{+}{-} \sqrt \frac{a*y}{2} * x')} [/tex]

im just trying to figure out what steps I need to take in order to arrive at the last solution.

Last edited:
theta is the nodimensialization of the temperature.

Last edited:

Related to Deriving the Heat Equation with Exponential Term: Can We Solve for exp(theta)?

1. What is the heat equation differentiation?

The heat equation differentiation is a mathematical tool used to model the flow of heat in a given system. It is a partial differential equation that describes how the temperature of a physical system changes over time and space.

2. How is the heat equation differentiation derived?

The heat equation differentiation is derived from the principles of thermodynamics and Fourier's law of heat conduction. It is a mathematical representation of the conservation of energy and the transfer of heat through a system.

3. What are the applications of the heat equation differentiation?

The heat equation differentiation has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and environmental sciences. It is commonly used to study heat transfer in materials, analyze heat flow in buildings, and model weather patterns.

4. What are the boundary conditions for the heat equation differentiation?

The boundary conditions for the heat equation differentiation depend on the specific problem being solved. They can include the initial temperature distribution, the temperature at the boundaries of the system, and any external heat sources or sinks.

5. How is the heat equation differentiation solved?

The heat equation differentiation can be solved using various methods such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or numerical techniques. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.