Deriving the first-order system for this governing equation

In summary: Thank you for catching that! In summary, @BvU suggests that one can derive a first-order system for the governing equation of this damped nonlinear vibration by defining the function y=x'. This system is linearized around the critical point, with coefficients that are determined by the elements of the Jacobian matrix. This information can be used to determine the critical point and character of the solution near that point.
currently
Homework Statement
Derive first-order system for governing equation of this damped nonlinear vibration; then find and write down the corresponding critical point and Jacobian Matrix.
Relevant Equations
mx'' = -8x' - x + 9x^3
I tried finding the solution of the equation itself but it hasn't helped! Links to concepts would be greatly appreciated...thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

The term 'governing equation' is slightly misleading in the exercise statement -- I think
mx'' = -8x' - x + 9x^3 is the governing equation.

You sure the composer doesn't mean 'characteristic equation' ?

Deriving a first order system is as simple as defining u = x' and you get a system of two first-order differential equations.

Likes currently
currently said:
Homework Statement:: Derive first-order system for governing equation of this damped nonlinear vibration; then find and write down the corresponding critical point and Jacobian Matrix.
Homework Equations:: mx'' = -8x' - x + 9x^3

I tried finding the solution of the equation itself but it hasn't helped! Links to concepts would be greatly appreciated...thank you...
As @BvU said you can make two first-order equation from the given one by defining an other function y=x'. Then x'' = y'.
The problem does not want you to solve this non-linear system of equations. As I understand, find the critical points (X,Y) (fixed points, equilibrium points) where both x' and y' are zero. What are these points?
Find the Jacobian matrices at the fixed points, and find the eigenvalues.
From the eigenvalues, you get information about the character of solution near the fixed points.
Lissen to

Last edited:
Likes currently
Is that equation really non-linear? I don't think so.

As long as the dependent variable and all its derivatives appear to 1st order only, the equation is linear.
Other than that all I can say is "try Wolfram Alpha"! :smile:

rude man said:
Is that equation really non-linear? I don't think so.

As long as the dependent variable and all its derivatives appear to 1st order only, the equation is linear.
Other than that all I can say is "try Wolfram Alpha"! :smile:
The original equation was mx'' = -8x' - x + 9x^3 where x(t) was the dependent variable - a nonlinear second order one. That equation should be replaced by a first-order system of equations, and find the critical point(s) and Jacobian matrix. The system of equation is linearized around the critical point, with coefficients equal to the elements of the Jacobian matrix. From the eigenvalues of the Jacobian at the critical point, one gets information about the kind and stability of the solution near that point.

Likes currently and BvU
BvU said:
Hi,

The term 'governing equation' is slightly misleading in the exercise statement -- I think
mx'' = -8x' - x + 9x^3 is the governing equation.

You sure the composer doesn't mean 'characteristic equation' ?

Deriving a first order system is as simple as defining u = x' and you get a system of two first-order differential equations.
Yes, that is the governing equation. Sorry, should have been 'a damped nonlinear vibration' instead of 'this damped nonlinear vibration' and with the equation written below.

Likes BvU
ehild said:
The original equation was mx'' = -8x' - x + 9x^3 where x(t) was the dependent variable - a nonlinear second order one. That equation should be replaced by a first-order system of equations, and find the critical point(s) and Jacobian matrix. The system of equation is linearized around the critical point, with coefficients equal to the elements of the Jacobian matrix. From the eigenvalues of the Jacobian at the critical point, one gets information about the kind and stability of the solution near that point.
Yes, I goofed. I was thinking y(x), not x(t). It is nonlinear.

Related to Deriving the first-order system for this governing equation

1. What is the first-order system for a governing equation?

The first-order system for a governing equation is a set of first-order differential equations that are derived from a higher-order governing equation. This system is often used in modeling and analyzing complex systems in various fields of science and engineering.

2. Why is it important to derive the first-order system for a governing equation?

Deriving the first-order system allows for easier and more efficient analysis and numerical solution of the governing equation. It also allows for the system to be broken down into smaller, more manageable parts, making it easier to understand and model.

3. What is the process of deriving the first-order system for a governing equation?

The process involves rewriting the higher-order governing equation into a system of first-order differential equations by introducing new variables and redefining existing ones. This is typically done by using techniques such as substitution, integration, and differentiation.

4. Can the first-order system be derived for any governing equation?

Yes, in most cases, it is possible to derive the first-order system for a governing equation. However, the complexity of the system may vary depending on the complexity of the original governing equation.

5. How is the first-order system used in scientific research?

The first-order system is used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering, to model and analyze complex systems. It allows for the prediction of system behavior and can be used to optimize system design and control.