Deriving Formula for Ellipse Sector Area: Questions & Transformations

In summary, the conversation revolves around deriving a formula for the area of an ellipse sector, specifically in the case where the ellipse is not rotated and its center is at the origin. The formula involves a surface integral in polar coordinates, and there is a discrepancy between the calculated area using this formula and the expected area of the ellipse. The conversation also discusses the use of transformation equations and the distortion of angles in the ellipse. There is also mention of using a jacobian determinant, which is built into the formula in this case. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to read more on this topic and practice more examples for better understanding.
kandelabr

Homework Statement

i want to derive a formula for an ellipse sector. ellipse is not rotated and its center is in the origin. its semimajor and semiminor axis are a and b, respectively, and angle of the sector begins with t1 and ends with t2.

it's just a simple surface integral in polar coordinates, i did that already and got the result.
but then i found this:
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/53635.html"
i also have noticed that at t1 = 0 and t2 = 2pi, the area calculated from that formula does not match A = pi*a*b.

there is a correction for the answer given by doctor sam just below the next post, but i have no clue where did that dTheta come from, i can't see a reason why a normal integration wouldn't give correct results.
what did i miss?

for calculating the area of the whole ellipse, we used the following transformation at lessons:
x = a r cos(fi)
y = b r sin(fi)
J (jacobi determinant) = abr
this thing works only for 0 < fi < 2*pi.
why?
why none of our professors mentioned any of these problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As they said on mathforum, in the formula r^2*d(theta), theta has to be the angle in the ellipse. Using x=A*cos(theta), y=B*sin(theta), theta is the angle in the circle you are mapping from, not the angle in the ellipse. The angles in the ellipse are distorted. To find the angle in the ellipse (call it Theta) you use tan(Theta)=y/x. That's tan(Theta)=B*sin(theta)/(A*cos(theta)) or Theta=arctan(B*tan(theta)/A). Now you find dTheta by differentiating. You'll find the expression they gave is wrong. It should be (sec(theta)^2*B/A)/(tan(theta)^2*B^2/A^2+1). You can now find the area in polar coordinates by integrating (A^2*cos(theta)^2+B^2*sin(theta)^2)*dTheta. It looks complicated but the trig function parts actually cancel.

ok so that's why integration over 0 < t < 2*pi works with x = a r cos(t) etc. am i right?

but just why the "angles are distorted", angle is an angle, only r(t) changes, but that has been taken into account... hum... or not. ?

why the angles aren't distorted in other cases, such as this:
http://valjhun.fmf.uni-lj.si/~mihael/fs/mat2/pdfizpiti/280809.pdf": see page 3, (it's not in english, but anyway), it's first part is transformation from G (x,y) to G (r, fi) and then integrating to get area of G. how can i tell when to use the simple x = a r cos(fi) and when i need to do what you said? or is just an ellipse a special case?
thanks for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yes, and where did the jacobi determinant go in the mathforum case?

kandelabr said:
oh yes, and where did the jacobi determinant go in the mathforum case?

If you are really working in true polar coordinates, you don't need an explicit jacobian, it's built into the formula. Also notice not all angles are distorted, 0 and 2pi are still in the right place (as are pi/2, pi, etc). But take the point at theta=pi/4. If A is not equal to B, then that's not sitting at polar angle pi/4 in the ellipse. Draw a picture to convince yourself.

how does the jacobian looks if i wanted to calculate this for any angle? it's not any different than abr, why would it be?
i guess i need to read some stuff on this topic, all this is really confusing.

thanks for your replies.

In this case the jacobian doesn't depend on theta or Theta. But that's just this problem. Yes, read up and practice some more examples.

Related to Deriving Formula for Ellipse Sector Area: Questions & Transformations

1. What is the formula for finding the area of an ellipse sector?

The formula for finding the area of an ellipse sector is A = (1/2) * π * a * b * θ, where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively, and θ is the central angle of the sector in radians.

2. How is this formula derived?

This formula is derived by first finding the area of the corresponding circle sector and then multiplying it by the ratio of the semi-major axis to the radius of the circle.

3. Can this formula be used for all types of ellipses?

Yes, this formula can be used for all types of ellipses, including circles which are a special case of an ellipse with equal semi-major and semi-minor axes.

4. What transformations can be used to manipulate the ellipse sector?

The ellipse sector can be transformed using translation, rotation, and scaling to change the position, orientation, and size of the sector, respectively.

5. How is the central angle of the sector determined?

The central angle of the sector is determined by the ratio of the arc length of the sector to the circumference of the ellipse. This can be calculated by dividing the central angle in radians by the total angle in radians (2π) and multiplying it by the circumference of the ellipse.