Deriving First Law of Thermo Equations

In summary: Note: I am using dW as the work done BY the gas. I see you are using dW is the work done ON the gas, so dW = -PdV. Most texts now use dW = PdV. It is much less confusing.
mortalapeman

Homework Statement

This is really just a question that I can't seem to find a good solution for in my book. Basically I'm trying to understand for the first law of thermodynamics how you can derive the equation in term of P1 and P2. I don't understand how to go from PdV to (something)dP. This assuming we are dealing with an ideal gas.

Homework Equations

[tex] $ PV = RT $ [/tex]

[tex] $ C_{v} = C_{p} - R [/tex]

[tex] $ \Delta U = Q + W $ [/tex]

[tex] $ W = -PdV$ [/tex]

[tex] $ dQ = C_{v}dT + RTV^{-1}dV $ [/tex]

[tex] $ W = -PdV = -RTV^{-1}dV = -RT \ln \left ( V_{1}/V_{2} \right ) = RT \ln \left ( P_{2}/ P_{1} \right ) $[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to get to:

and there is another equation in my book that is:

[tex] $ dQ = C_{p}dT - RTP^{-1}dP $ [/tex]

with work equal to:

[tex] $ dW = -RdT + RTP^{-1}dP $ [/tex]

And its getting to those equations that i don't understand how to do. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mortalapeman said:
I understand how to get to:

and there is another equation in my book that is:

[tex] $ dQ = C_{p}dT - RTP^{-1}dP $ [/tex]

with work equal to:

[tex] $ dW = -RdT + RTP^{-1}dP $ [/tex]

And its getting to those equations that i don't understand how to do. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated :)
Start with:

PV = RT (we will assume n=1)

Differentiate with respect to T:

d(PV)/dT = R = P(dV/dT) + V(dP/dT)

So: RdT = PdV + VdP = dW + VdP

Which means that: dW = RdT - VdP = RdT - RTdP/P

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Start with:

PV = RT (we will assume n=1)

Differentiate with respect to T:

d(PV)/dT = R = P(dV/dT) + V(dP/dT)

So: RdT = PdV + VdP = dW + VdP

Which means that: dW = RdT - VdP = RdT - RTdP/P

AM

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me. These things always seem to be so simple, can't believe I didn't see that xD

mortalapeman said:
Thanks so much for clearing that up for me. These things always seem to be so simple, can't believe I didn't see that xD
Note: I am using dW as the work done BY the gas. I see you are using dW is the work done ON the gas, so dW = -PdV. Most texts now use dW = PdV. It is much less confusing.

AM

First, let's start with the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system:

$ \Delta U = Q + W $

Now, let's consider an ideal gas in a closed system, where the only form of work is pressure-volume work. This means that the work done by the system is equal to the change in volume multiplied by the external pressure:

$ W = -PdV $

Substituting this into the first law equation, we get:

$ \Delta U = Q - PdV $

Next, we can use the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure and volume of an ideal gas are inversely proportional at constant temperature:

$ PV = RT $

Rearranging this equation, we get:

$ P = \frac{RT}{V} $

$ \Delta U = Q - \frac{RT}{V}dV $

Now, we can use the definition of heat capacity at constant volume ($ C_{v} $), which is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree at constant volume:

$ dQ = C_{v}dT $

$ \Delta U = C_{v}dT - \frac{RT}{V}dV $

Finally, we can use the definition of heat capacity at constant pressure ($ C_{p} $), which is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree at constant pressure:

$ dQ = C_{p}dT $

$ \Delta U = C_{p}dT - \frac{RT}{V}dV $

Now, we have two equations for heat ($ dQ $) in terms of temperature and volume, and we can solve for work by equating these two equations:

$ C_{v}dT - \frac{RT}{V}dV = C_{p}dT - \frac{RT}{V}dV $

Simplifying, we get:

$ \frac{C_{v}-C_{p}}{V}dV = 0 $

Since this equation must hold true for all

Related to Deriving First Law of Thermo Equations

1. What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How do you derive equations for the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The equations for the First Law of Thermodynamics can be derived using the principles of conservation of energy and the definition of work and heat. The most common equation is ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat added to the system, and W is the work done on the system.

3. What factors influence the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is influenced by various factors such as the type of system (closed, open, or isolated), the type of process (adiabatic, isothermal, etc.), and the external forces acting on the system.

4. How is the First Law of Thermodynamics related to other thermodynamic laws?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is closely related to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. The First Law is also connected to the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics, which defines thermal equilibrium between two systems in contact with each other.

5. What are some real-world applications of the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics has many practical applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. It is also used in fields like chemistry, biology, and environmental science to study energy transformations and conservation in various systems.