Capacitance in a Complicated Mixed Circuit

In summary, the capacitance of the circuit can be found by combining the capacitors in parallel first and then in series. The final answer should have no more than 4 digits and the units should be checked to ensure correctness. Sanity checks can also be used to verify the answer.
brinstar

Homework Statement

Find the capacitance of the circuit if C1 = 10.3, C2 = 41.1, C3 = 95.5, C4 = 299.9, and C5 = 525.7, with all the units being in microfarads.

Homework Equations

1/Series Ctotal = 1/c1 + 1/c2 ...
Parallel Ctotal = C1 + C2 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to combine all the parallel units first and then put it together in series, but I feel like I did it wrong. The answer I got was 241.524 microfarads. I'm pretty sure it could be right given that it's less than the smallest series capacitor (the only one I'm seeing is C5), but I'm not sure. Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_1924.JPG
    IMG_1924.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I get a different result. So one of us is making a mistake. Perhaps you can post your steps ?

BvU said:
Well, I get a different result. So one of us is making a mistake. Perhaps you can post your steps ?
Basically, what I did was:

(1/c5) + (1/[c1+c2+c3+c4])

Then let's say the result is x.
x^-1 = Ctot.

And from that, I got around 241, give or take a few mistypes in the calculator should there be.

brinstar said:
I tried to combine all the parallel units first and then put it together in series, but I feel like I did it wrong. The answer I got was 241.524 microfarads.
You can combine only two capacitors in either series or parallel at a time. Start with with C1 parallel with C3..

cnh1995 said:
You can combine only two capacitors in either series or parallel at a time. Start with with C1 parallel with C3..

Ah, okay. So C1 + C3 = 10.3 + 95.5 = 105.8 microfarads?

brinstar said:
Ah, okay. So C1 + C3 = 10.3 + 95.5 = 105.8 microfarads?
Right. Replace this parallel combination with 105.8 microfarad and proceed.

cnh1995 said:
Right. Replace this parallel combination with 105.8 microfarad and proceed.

Okie doke. So now do I add that with C4 as if they are in series?

brinstar said:
Okie doke. So now do I add that with C4 as if they are in series?
What about C2?

cnh1995 said:
What about C2?
I meant C2, sorry! I was looking at the diagram and wrote the wrong thing >.<

So (1/105.8) + (1/41.1) = 0.0337826961 => 0.0337826961^-1 = 29.60095303 microfarads?

brinstar said:
I meant C2, sorry! I was looking at the diagram and wrote the wrong thing >.<

So (1/105.8) + (1/41.1) = 0.0337826961 => 0.0337826961^-1 = 29.60095303 microfarads?
Right. I don't know the answer but 29.600 looks correct (it is less than the least!).

I believe you have understood the logic now. You can proceed with this technique and find the final answer. It's almost 12:30 am here, got to sleep now! Good luck:smile:!

Likes brinstar
cnh1995 said:
I believe you have understood the logic now. You can proceed with this technique and find the final answer. It's almost 12:30 am here, got to sleep now! Good luck:smile:!
Thank you so much for the help! :D I truly appreciate it! Have a good night!

For anyone else out there, is 202.547 microfarads the correct final answer?

Isn't that great ! If the exercise has 4 digits max, then the answer should generally have no more than 4 digits.

BvU said:
Isn't that great ! If the exercise has 4 digits max, then the answer should generally have no more than 4 digits.
Ah okay, so 202.5?

PF isn't really in the business of approving answers :smile:. If you think you did it right, you did it right, right ?

BvU said:
PF isn't really in the business of approving answers :smile:. If you think you did it right, you did it right, right ?

I mean, just because I think I did it right doesn't mean I did it right and got it right :/ if I went with that form of logic, I don't think I'd be here asking for help and unsure of myself. I probably would've just spouted whatever I thought was logical and stuck with that answer, unaware of whether I'm objectively correct or not.

Have some faith !
And you were right when you didn't trust yourself in post #1, so maybe you are also right when you think this is the right answer!

More important: do you understand what you did and why it's correct ?

BvU said:
Have some faith !
And you were right when you didn't trust yourself in post #1, so maybe you are also right when you think this is the right answer!

More important: do you understand what you did and why it's correct ?

I understand what I did, but I don't know if it's correct?

brinstar said:
you can write your answer out using variables without plugging in numbers (which is a "better way" to solve these problems in general) then check that your units are correct. Looking at the units will help you tell if you made a mistake.

ex. if there answer is supposed to be a capacitance and your answer is C1/(C2+C3) you know your answer is incorect.

the units of C1/(C2+C3) are F/F which is unitless

You can also do a sanity check, which is saying "does this answer make sense". In some cases you might not be able to answer that question. If your answer was 500 F, you can make an argument that it doesn't make sense.

brinstar said:
There is a meta-approach: suppose you were mistaken, then wouldn't someone have reacted and put a finger on that ? From my evasive replies you could have deduced that I got the same result as you did :rolleyes:

Have some faith :smile: !
And your reward is the fact you understand it now; the proper answer is only the cherry on the cake.

Likes donpacino

Related to Capacitance in a Complicated Mixed Circuit

1. What is capacitance in a complicated mixed circuit?

Capacitance refers to the ability of a circuit to store electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. In a complicated mixed circuit, there are multiple components that can affect the overall capacitance of the circuit.

2. How is capacitance calculated in a complicated mixed circuit?

The total capacitance in a complicated mixed circuit can be calculated by adding the individual capacitances of each component in the circuit. This can be done using the formula Ceq = C1 + C2 + C3 + ..., where Ceq is the equivalent capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel capacitance in a complicated mixed circuit?

In a series circuit, the capacitances of each component are added together, resulting in a lower equivalent capacitance. In a parallel circuit, the equivalent capacitance is greater than the individual capacitances due to the combined effect of the components.

4. How does the type of material used for the capacitor affect capacitance in a complicated mixed circuit?

The type of material used for a capacitor can affect its capacitance in a complicated mixed circuit. Different materials have different dielectric constants, which can impact the amount of charge that can be stored in the capacitor. Additionally, different materials may have different levels of resistance, which can also affect capacitance in the circuit.

5. How can capacitance in a complicated mixed circuit be controlled?

Capacitance in a complicated mixed circuit can be controlled by changing the values of the individual capacitances or by using components with different dielectric constants. Additionally, the placement and arrangement of components in the circuit can also affect capacitance.