Deriving expressions for creation/annihilation operator

In summary, the author is looking for a way to solve an equation that has the form a(\textbf{k}) e^{ikx} + a^{*}(\textbf{k}) e^{-ikx}. They start from the original expression and rename the integration variable to k'. They integrate by parts to get e^{-ikx} and then combine the exponentials to get exponents of the form e^{-i(k_1 - k_2)x}. They use the identity given earlier to solve for k.
Rizlablack
hey guys!I really need help in getting from the real classical solution of the Klein Gordon equation to the expression of operators!
I start from:

[itex]\varphi(x) = \int \frac{d^3 k}{(2\pi)^3 2\omega} [a(\textbf{k}) e^{ikx} + a^{*}(\textbf{k}) e^{-ikx}][/itex]

and should arrive with

[itex]\int d^3 x \: e^{-ikx} \varphi(x) = \frac{1}{2\omega} a(\textbf{k}) + \frac{1}{2\omega} e^{2i\omega t}a(\textbf{k})[/itex]

then the rest is easy!just not very good with inverse trasformations! ^_^
thank you all!

Physics news on Phys.org
This won't get you all the way there, but it may be good to get you started:

[tex] \int d^3\vec x e^{-i (\vec k - \vec k') \cdot \vec x} = (2\pi)^3 \delta_{\vec k \vec k'} [/tex]

thank you for your help!but still I don't know how to match that formula with my integral!it's multiplied by phi(x) and integrating by part I don't manage to simplify things!
what about just another little help? ^_^

Rizlablack said:
I start from:

[itex]\varphi(x) = \int \frac{d^3 k}{(2\pi)^3 2\omega} [a(\textbf{k}) e^{ikx} + a^{*}(\textbf{k}) e^{-ikx}][/itex]

Sure, here's another hint. Let's start from your original expression, and to prevent confusion, rename the integration variable to k'.
[itex]\varphi(x) = \int \frac{d^3 k'}{(2\pi)^3 2\omega} [a(\textbf{k}') e^{ik'x} + a^{*}(\textbf{k}') e^{-ik'x}][/itex]

Now fix a k, multiply both sides by [itex]e^{-ikx}[/itex] and integrate over x:

[itex]\int e^{-ikx} \varphi(x) \, d^3x = \int d^3x \int \frac{d^3 k'}{(2\pi)^3 2\omega} e^{-ikx} [a(\textbf{k}') e^{ik'x} + a^{*}(\textbf{k}') e^{-ik'x}][/itex]

Now the exponentials are just numbers (note that k and x are vectors, you are basically just writing shorthand for [itex]e^{-ikx} = e^{-i (\textbf{k} \cdot \textbf{x})}[/itex]) so you can commute them around at will.
So you can combine the exponentials and get exponents of the form
[tex]e^{-i(k_1 - k_2)x}[/tex]
and apply the identity I gave earlier.

If you work that out you will get the left hand side and the first part of the right hand side correctly, you'll just need to do some magic with the [itex]a^*(\textbf{k}')[/itex], I don't recall the details but there is probably some identity like
[tex]a(-\textbf{k}) = a^*(\textbf{k})[/tex]

THANK YOU!it's so easy now I just forgot to rename variable!
and btw I made a mistake in the first post, it should be
..+ (1/2w) exp(2iwt) a*(-k) so there are no identities at all! ^_^
thanks again!

Related to Deriving expressions for creation/annihilation operator

1. What is the purpose of deriving expressions for creation and annihilation operators?

The purpose of deriving expressions for creation and annihilation operators is to mathematically describe the creation and destruction of particles in quantum mechanics. These operators are used to represent the creation and annihilation of particles in a quantum system, allowing for a more precise and accurate analysis of quantum phenomena.

2. How are creation and annihilation operators related to each other?

Creation and annihilation operators are related to each other through their commutation and anti-commutation relations. These relations describe how the operators behave when they are applied to the same quantum state, and are essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

3. Can creation and annihilation operators be used to create and destroy any type of particle?

No, creation and annihilation operators are specific to each type of particle. This means that there are different operators for different types of particles, such as electrons, photons, and quarks. Each type of particle has its own set of creation and annihilation operators.

4. How do creation and annihilation operators affect the energy of a quantum system?

The energy of a quantum system is affected by creation and annihilation operators through the energy eigenvalues associated with each operator. These eigenvalues determine the energy of a given state and can be used to calculate the energy of a quantum system.

5. Are there any limitations to using creation and annihilation operators in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are limitations to using creation and annihilation operators in quantum mechanics. These operators are only applicable in non-relativistic quantum systems, and cannot be used to accurately describe high-energy phenomena. Additionally, these operators do not take into account the effects of gravity, so they are not suitable for use in quantum gravity theories.