Derivatives: Logarithmic Function help

In summary, the equation of the tangent line to the curve y = (2 x^2+5 )\ln (4 x^2-3 )+7 when x = 1 is y = 56x-49. This is found by using the equation for a tangent line, y = f'(x_0)(x-x_0)+f(x_0), where f'(x_0) is the derivative of the function at the given x-value, and f(x_0) is the function evaluated at the same x-value. In this case, f(1) = 7 and f'(1) = 56. Therefore, the equation of the tangent line is y = 56x-49
Slimsta

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the tangent line to the curve
[tex]$\displaystyle \Large y = (2 x^2+5 )\ln (4 x^2-3 )+7$[/tex]
when x = 1.

Homework Equations

[tex]$\displaystyle \Large y = f'(x_0)(x-x_0)+f(x_0).$[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

the fact that the tangent line to the curve y = f(x) when x = a is given by
[tex]$\displaystyle \Large y = f'(x_0)(x-x_0)+f(x_0).$[/tex] and a=1

f(1) = 7
f'(1) = 48
tangent line => y=48x-41
right?

this is how i did it:
f(1) = 7 (just plug in the number in f(x)
for f'(1),
i did:
[tex]$\displaystyle \Large dy/dx = 4x\ln (4 x^2-3 )+(1/(4 x^2-3 ) )* 8x * (2 x^2+5 )$[/tex]
and pluged in 1 and got 48.

then found the tangent line by doing y=mx+b ==> y=48x+b ==> 7=48*1+b ==> b= -41
y=48x-41

is everything correct so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks fine, but I didn't check all of your arithmetic. Your value for f(1) is correct and your derivative is correct, but I didn't confirm it for f'(1).

I get another number for f'(1), not 48.

Bohrok said:
I get another number for f'(1), not 48.

omg.. what a stupid mistake... bhahaha, its 56 actually..
kk i got it lol.
thanks!

Related to Derivatives: Logarithmic Function help

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It measures the slope of a tangent line at that point and can be used to find the instantaneous rate of change of a function.

How do logarithmic functions relate to derivatives?

Logarithmic functions are a type of mathematical function that involves the use of logarithms. They can be differentiated using the same rules and techniques as other types of functions, such as polynomial or trigonometric functions.

What is the derivative of a logarithmic function?

The derivative of a logarithmic function is the inverse of the original function. In other words, the derivative of a logarithmic function is the function that, when differentiated, gives the original logarithmic function back.

Why are derivatives of logarithmic functions important?

Derivatives of logarithmic functions are important because they can be used to solve real-world problems involving rates of change. They are also useful in calculus and other branches of mathematics, and have applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.

What are some common rules for finding the derivative of a logarithmic function?

Some common rules for finding the derivative of a logarithmic function include the power rule, the product rule, and the chain rule. These rules involve differentiating the logarithmic function itself, as well as any other functions that may be present within the logarithm.