Derivatives and Linear transformations

In summary, we discussed the concepts of linear transformations, derivatives, and differentials in the context of a non-empty open connected set in Rn, where f is a differentiable function and A is a linear transformation from Rn to R. We also explored the relationship between f and A, and how the derivative and differential can be used to approximate the local change of a function near a point.
raghad
Let G be a non-empty open connected set in Rn, f be a differentiable function from G into R, and A be a linear transformation from Rn to R. If f '(a)=A for all a in G, find f and prove your answer.

I thought of f as being the same as the linear transformation, i.e. f(x)=A(x). Is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
raghad said:
I thought of f as being the same as the linear transformation, i.e. f(x)=A(x). Is this true?
No, but observe: [itex] f'(x) = (\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_{1}}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_{2}}, \dotso , \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_{n}})[/itex] and since A is linear, [itex] A=(a_{1}, a_{2}, \dotso , a_{n})[/itex]. Therefore [itex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_{1}}=a_{1}[/itex] etc. SInce all ak are constants, ...

is a function uniquely determined by its derivative?

mathwonk said:
is a function uniquely determined by its derivative?
Of course not - g(x) and g(x)+C have the same derivatives. I am a mathematician - I leave the details as an exercise for the student.

In general, with f a function from, say, Rn to Rm, we can define the derivative of f, at point p in Rn as "the linear transformation, from Rn to Rm that best approximates f in some neighborhood of p".

To make that "best approximates f" more precise, note that we can write any function, f, as [tex]f(x)= A(x- p)+ D(x)[/tex] where A is a linear transformation and D(x) has the property that the limit, as x approaches p, of D(x)/||x- p|| is 0. Then A is the "derivative of f at p".

HallsofIvy said:
In general, with f a function from, say, Rn to Rm, we can define the derivative of f, at point p in Rn as "the linear transformation, from Rn to Rm that best approximates f in some neighborhood of p".

To make that "best approximates f" more precise, note that we can write any function, f, as [tex]f(x)= A(x- p)+ D(x)[/tex] where A is a linear transformation and D(x) has the property that the limit, as x approaches p, of D(x)/||x- p|| is 0. Then A is the "derivative of f at p".
That's where it gets confusing: some call it the differential.

WWGD said:
That's where it gets confusing: some call it the differential.
Really? I've never heard someone call it the differential. As far as I know, the linear transformation that best approximates a function at a given point is always called the derivative (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fréchet_derivative)

To answer the OP, it is almost true, you're just missing the constant. The answer is [itex]f(x) = Ax + c[/itex]. The linear transformation that best approximates this [itex]f[/itex] is clearly [itex]A[/itex], in other words [itex]f'(a) = A[/itex] for every element in [itex]G[/itex]. And since [itex]G[/itex] is connected, any other function with derivative equal to [itex]A[/itex] in [itex]G[/itex], must differ only by a constant.

Xiuh said:
Really? I've never heard someone call it the differential. As far as I know, the linear transformation that best approximates a function at a given point is always called the derivative (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fréchet_derivative)

To answer the OP, it is almost true, you're just missing the constant. The answer is [itex]f(x) = Ax + c[/itex]. The linear transformation that best approximates this [itex]f[/itex] is clearly [itex]A[/itex], in other words [itex]f'(a) = A[/itex] for every element in [itex]G[/itex]. And since [itex]G[/itex] is connected, any other function with derivative equal to [itex]A[/itex] in [itex]G[/itex], must differ only by a constant.
I think that A as a function is usually called, in my experience, the differential. Once you plug in numbers , it is called the derivative in this layout, so that, e.g., for ##f(x)=x^2##, ##2x## is the differential, but the derivative at a fixed ##x_0## is ##2x_0##.

No. If f(x)= x2, the derivative is [itex]df/dx= 2x[/itex]. The "differential" is [itex]df= 2xdx[/itex].
And, as you say, the "derivative at fixed x0" is 2x0.

It would help if you quoted actual definitions: the differential is the best linear map approximating the local change of the function near the point. The derivative is the rate of change (modulo higher dimensions).

WWGD said:
I think that A as a function is usually called, in my experience, the differential. Once you plug in numbers , it is called the derivative in this layout, so that, e.g., for ##f(x)=x^2##, ##2x## is the differential, but the derivative at a fixed ##x_0## is ##2x_0##.

HallsofIvy said:
No. If f(x)= x2, the derivative is [itex]df/dx= 2x[/itex]. The "differential" is [itex]df= 2xdx[/itex].
And, as you say, the "derivative at fixed x0" is 2x0.
I agree with Halls here, and would add only "differential of f."

If f is a function of two variables, say z = f(x, y), then the differential of f (also called the total differential of f) is ##df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy##.

Mark44 said:
I agree with Halls here, and would add only "differential of f."

If f is a function of two variables, say z = f(x, y), then the differential of f (also called the total differential of f) is ##df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy##.

Yes, I corrected myself in my post after that one.

what used to be called the Frechet derivative some 50 years ago, e.g. in Dieudonne's Foundations of modern analysis, is now usually called the differential.

Related to Derivatives and Linear transformations

1. What are derivatives and linear transformations?

Derivatives and linear transformations are mathematical concepts used to describe the rate of change and transformation of a function or variable. Derivatives describe the rate at which a function changes at a specific point, while linear transformations describe the relationship between two variables and how they change together.

2. What is the difference between derivatives and linear transformations?

The main difference between derivatives and linear transformations is that derivatives focus on the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while linear transformations describe the overall relationship between two variables.

3. How are derivatives and linear transformations used in real life?

Derivatives and linear transformations are used in various fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and statistics to model and analyze real-world phenomena. For example, derivatives can be used to calculate the velocity of a moving object, while linear transformations can be used to predict the relationship between supply and demand in economics.

4. What are some common applications of derivatives and linear transformations?

Some common applications of derivatives and linear transformations include optimization problems, curve fitting, and forecasting future trends. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis to understand patterns and relationships in data.

5. Are derivatives and linear transformations difficult to understand?

The concept of derivatives and linear transformations can be challenging for some individuals to grasp, but with practice and a solid understanding of algebra and calculus, they can be understood and applied effectively. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics to fully comprehend these concepts.