Derivative product rule and other rule proofs.

In summary, the conversation is about proving the derivability of three functions: (u+v)'(x0), αu, and u*v, and their respective equations. The person asking for help is unsure about how to start the proof and asks if they should use the limit of (f(x)-f(x0))/x-x0. The expert responds that they need to use the definition of the derivative and that the interval "h" is equivalent to x-x0. The person then goes on to say they have successfully proved all three functions and asks if proving the quotient rule and (1/v)(x0) are the same, to which the expert responds that it will require some manipulation but the same approach will work. The person
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Prove that the functions: (u+v)'(x0) and αu and u*v are derivable.

Homework Equations

in other words prove that :
[tex](u+v)'(x_{0})=u'(x_{0})+v'(x_{0})[/tex]

[tex](\alpha u)'(x_{0})=\alpha u'(x_{0})[/tex]

[tex](u\cdot v)'(x_{0})=u'(x_{0})\cdot v(x_{0})+u(x_{0})\cdot v'(x_{0})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone give me some heads up on how to start this proof and should i use the limit of (f(x)-f(x0))/x-x0 to prove this? We have never done f'(x)=lim as h approaches 0 of (f(x+h)-f(x))/h

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yes, first principles is the way to go with all of these, here's some tex to write it if that helps for future (right click to see the code)
[tex]
f'(x) = \lim_{h \to 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}
[/tex]

mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Can someone give me some heads up on how to start this proof and should i use the limit of (f(x)-f(x0))/x-x0 to prove this?

Yes, it looks to me like you need to use the definition of the derivative for all three parts.

yes but we never did derivatives with f(x+h)-f(h)/h

mtayab1994 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Can someone give me some heads up on how to start this proof and should i use the limit of (f(x)-f(x0))/x-x0 to prove this? We have never done f'(x)=lim as h approaches 0 of (f(x+h)-f(x))/h

You realize that these two things in bold are equivalent, right? The interval "h" is just the difference between the two values x and x0 where you are evaluating the function. So saying that h → 0, is the same as saying that x → x0. So if you've seen the former, then you know how to solve the problem.

Ok I've proved all of them and the one with alpha is proved in one line i don't know if it's that easy, but that's what i got.

should be pretty straight forward once you get the definition down

Last edited:
lanedance said:
should be pretty staright forward once you get the definition down

Yes thank you very much I've done all of them and by the way proving the quotient rule and (1/v)(x0) should be the same right?

will need a little more manipulation, but the same approach will work

Yes thank you I've just proven all of the stuff i had to do.

Related to Derivative product rule and other rule proofs.

1. What is the product rule for derivatives?

The product rule for derivatives states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function. In mathematical notation, this can be written as (fg)' = f'g + fg'.

2. What is the quotient rule for derivatives?

The quotient rule for derivatives states that the derivative of a quotient of two functions is equal to the denominator multiplied by the derivative of the numerator, minus the numerator multiplied by the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the square of the denominator. In mathematical notation, this can be written as (f/g)' = (f'g - fg')/g^2.

3. How do you prove the product rule for derivatives?

The product rule for derivatives can be proved using the limit definition of a derivative and the properties of limits. By applying the definition of a derivative to the product of two functions and simplifying, we can arrive at the product rule formula (fg)' = f'g + fg'. Alternatively, the product rule can also be proved using the chain rule.

4. What is the proof for the quotient rule for derivatives?

The proof for the quotient rule for derivatives follows a similar process as the proof for the product rule. By applying the limit definition of a derivative and simplifying, we can arrive at the quotient rule formula (f/g)' = (f'g - fg')/g^2. Alternatively, the quotient rule can also be proved using the chain rule.

5. What are some other important rules for finding derivatives?

In addition to the product rule and quotient rule, some other important rules for finding derivatives include the power rule, chain rule, and sum/difference rule. The power rule states that the derivative of a function raised to a constant power is equal to the constant power multiplied by the original function raised to the power minus one. The chain rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function, while the sum/difference rule is used to find the derivative of a sum or difference of two functions.