Derivative of this function is injective everywhere

In summary: I said, the tangent bundle is flat, so it doesn't matter here. We also can't get the tangent vectors by parallel transport along the curve ##f##, as we don't have a curve here.)You confuse the functions. Quote: ##D_xf## is injective for all ##x##, means the function ##v \longmapsto (D_xf)(v)## is injective. So to say the Jacobi matrix at any point ##x## of evaluation is injective. What you are talking about is ##x \longmapsto D_xf## which is a different function. I haven't checked whether ##D_{(.)}f## depends injective on the point of evaluation. It
kent davidge
I'm reading a pdf where it's said that the function ##f: \mathbb R \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^2## given by ##f(x) = \langle \sin (2 \pi x), \cos ( 2 \pi x) \rangle## is not one-to-one, because ##f(x+1) = f(x)##. This is pretty obvious to me. What I don't understand is that next they say that the derivative map, which they denote by ##Df(x)##, is injective for all ##x \in \mathbb R##. How can it be?

Is'nt the derivative given by ##2 \pi \langle \cos (2 \pi x), - \sin (2 \pi x) \rangle##? It's easy to see that it's the same for ##x## and ##x + 1##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you upload an image or give the precise wording, the definition of ##Df(x)## included? Injective for all x doesn't make much sense, except if ##y \longmapsto (Df(x))(y)## is the function considered, e.g ##(Df(x))(y)= \left. \dfrac{d}{dx}\right|_{x=y} f(x)##. This isn't injective, but e.g. ##p \longmapsto (p,Df)## is. Anyway, injective at a point, what should that be?

Likes kent davidge
I agree with you in that it's not very precise.
fresh_42 said:
Anyway, injective at a point, what should that be?
I also had this thought

The PDF is here https://www.math.lsu.edu/~lawson/Chapter6.pdf

The considered case is in the example after the first definition (6.1).

kent davidge said:

I also had this thought

Example 6.2 in the PDF has a restricted domain, the open interval ##N = (-\pi/4, 3\pi/4)##. On this interval the function of the example is one-to-one.

Mark44 said:
Example 6.2 in the PDF has a restricted domain, the open interval ##N = (-\pi/4, 3\pi/4)##. On this interval the function of the example is one-to-one.
I'm sorry if I seemed to point to example 6.2. I meant example after definition 6.1 but above example 6.2 :biggrin:

kent davidge said:

I also had this thought

Yes, it is as I suspected. The differential is a mean thing, because it has so many meanings, depending on the perspective, i.e. on the variables regarded. Here we have:
$$
f\, : \,\mathbb{R} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}^2 \\
D_xf\, : \,T_x\mathbb{R} = \mathbb{R} \longrightarrow T_{f(x)}\mathbb{R}^2=\mathbb{R}^2
$$
where each tangent vector (here a point) is mapped to a pair of tangent vectors. The injective function is
$$
Df(x)=D_xf \, : \, v \longrightarrow \left(\langle Df_1(x),v \rangle,\langle Df_2(x),v \rangle\right) \text{ for all vectors } v\in T_x\mathbb{R}
$$
which are real numbers in this case, so ##Df(x)(y)=\left( 2\pi y \cos(2\pi x)\; , \;-2\pi y\sin(2\pi x) \right)## which is injective in the tangent vector variable ##y \in T_x\mathbb{R}=\mathbb{R}## for any given fixed ##x \in \mathbb{R}##, the manifold.

I couldn't resist and once made a list of how a differential can be seen. If you want to have a look:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/journey-manifold-su2mathbbc-part/
It's the list of ten items, quite at the beginning. You're perhaps also interested to read:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-pantheon-of-derivatives-i/
where I tried to shed some light on the various conceptions, yours included.

Last edited:
Likes kent davidge
Oh thanks. I will read your linked posts.
fresh_42 said:
$$
Df(x)=D_xf \, : \, v \longrightarrow \left(\langle Df_1(x),v \rangle,\langle Df_2(x),v \rangle\right) \text{ for all vectors } v\in T_x\mathbb{R}
$$
Are those angled brackets inner products? Does that relation holds for any manifolds ##\mathcal M ## and ##\mathcal N## or only for this (apparent) special case of ##\mathcal M = \mathbb R## and ##\mathcal N = \mathbb{R}^2##?

kent davidge said:
Oh thanks. I will read your linked posts.

Are those angled brackets inner products?
Yes, although it's a bit over the top here, as we only have numbers. The differential is generally a linear transformation: "times slope", "gradient", "Jacobi matrix". So it applies to vectors: ##(D_xf)(v)##, the direction of the tangent, resp. the differential. In this case the vector is one-dimensional, but nevertheless a vector. In one, resp. each coordinate this can be written as an inner product.
Btw. it's better to write the point at which a derivative is evaluated by an index as ##Df(x)=D_xf## so that it is clearer what is what.
Does that relation holds for any manifolds ##\mathcal M ## and ##\mathcal N## or only for this (apparent) special case of ##\mathcal M = \mathbb R## and ##\mathcal N = \mathbb{R}^2##?
Yes, it holds in any case. We have ##f\, : \,\mathcal{M} \longrightarrow \mathcal{N}## and ##D_pf\, : \,T_p\mathcal{M} \longrightarrow T_{f(p)}\mathcal{N}##.

Likes kent davidge
Upon thinking about this, I realized that we can bring ##x## to just an interval like ##(0, 1]##. In such case it's easy to see that the "differential map matrix" ##2 \pi (\cos (2 \pi x), - \sin (2 \pi x))## is injective everywhere. Wouldn't taking this approach to the case end up being more concise?

kent davidge said:
Upon thinking about this, I realized that we can bring ##x## to just an interval like ##(0, 1]##. In such case it's easy to see that the "differential map matrix" ##2 \pi (\cos (2 \pi x), - \sin (2 \pi x))## is injective everywhere. Wouldn't taking this approach to the case end up being more concise?
You confuse the functions. Quote: ##D_xf## is injective for all ##x##, means the function ##v \longmapsto (D_xf)(v)## is injective. So to say the Jacobi matrix at any point ##x## of evaluation is injective. What you are talking about is ##x \longmapsto D_xf## which is a different function. I haven't checked whether ##D_{(.)}f## depends injective on the point of evaluation. It wasn't stated nor meant. The way the script deals with it, is a fixed point ##x## on the left side and ##f(x)## on the right, but the function is for a certain ##x## mapping tangent vectors ##v##.

Likes mathwonk and kent davidge

Related to Derivative of this function is injective everywhere

1. What does it mean for a function to be injective everywhere?

For a function to be injective everywhere, it means that for every possible input value, there is a unique output value. In simpler terms, this means that no two distinct inputs can have the same output.

2. How can I determine if a function is injective everywhere?

To determine if a function is injective everywhere, you can use the horizontal line test. This test involves drawing horizontal lines across the graph of the function and checking if each line intersects the function at most once. If this is true for all possible horizontal lines, then the function is injective everywhere.

3. Why is it important for a function to be injective everywhere?

Injective everywhere functions are important because they guarantee that there will never be any confusion or ambiguity in the output values. This makes them useful in various applications such as cryptography, data compression, and function composition.

4. Can a function be injective everywhere without being continuous?

Yes, a function can be injective everywhere without being continuous. Continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, while injectivity refers to the uniqueness of the output values. A function can be discontinuous but still have unique output values for every input.

5. What are the limitations of a function being injective everywhere?

The main limitation of a function being injective everywhere is that it must be a one-to-one mapping, meaning that every input has a unique output. This can restrict the types of functions that can be injective everywhere, as some functions may require multiple inputs to produce the same output.