Derivative of the inverse of sin(1/x)

In summary: So, I'm not sure why you were told that the answer is different. It may be a typo or a mistake in the given answer. Both answers seem to be equal, as can be seen by simplifying them. Therefore, it seems that both answers are correct.
Silversonic

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of the compositional inverse of [itex] f(x) = sin(1/x) [/itex] restricted to (1,∞). You may use without proof that sin(x) is differentiable with derivative cos(x).

Homework Equations

[itex] (f^{-1})'(y_0) = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(y_0))}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The compositional inverse of [itex] f(x) = sin(1/x) [/itex] is [itex] f^{-1}(y_0) = \frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)} [/itex].

Plugging that into the equation gives;

[itex] (f^{-1})'(y_0) = \frac{1}{f'(\frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)})} = \frac{1}{sin'(arcsin(y_0))} = \frac{1}{sin'(1/x)} = \frac{1}{(-1/x^2)cos(1/x)} = \frac{-x^2}{cos(1/x)} [/itex]

And by putting back in

[itex] x = \frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)} [/itex]

[itex] (f^{-1})'(y_0) = \frac{-(\frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)})^2}{cos(arcsin(y_0))} = - \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-y_0^2}arcsin^2(y_0)} [/itex]

However, I'm told that the answer is;

[itex] \frac {1}{cos(\frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)})} [/itex]

For the life me, I can't see to get the answer given? Even wolfram alpha confirms that what I have it correct.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+of+1/arcsin(y)

Are we both correct? Because I can't see to show they are both equal to each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
Silversonic said:

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of the compositional inverse of [itex] f(x) = sin(1/x) [/itex] restricted to (1,∞). You may use without proof that sin(x) is differentiable with derivative cos(x).

Homework Equations

[itex] (f^{-1})'(y_0) = \frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(y_0))}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The compositional inverse of [itex] f(x) = sin(1/x) [/itex] is [itex] f^{-1}(y_0) = \frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)} [/itex].

Plugging that into the equation gives;

[itex] (f^{-1})'(y_0) = \frac{1}{f'(\frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)})} = \frac{1}{sin'(arcsin(y_0))} = \frac{1}{sin'(1/x)} = \frac{1}{(-1/x^2)cos(1/x)} = \frac{-x^2}{cos(1/x)} [/itex]

And by putting back in

[itex] x = \frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)} [/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle (f^{-1})'(y_0) = \frac{-(\frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)})^2}{cos(arcsin(y_0))} = - \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-y_0^2}arcsin^2(y_0)} [/itex]

However, I'm told that the answer is;

[itex]\displaystyle\frac {1}{cos(\displaystyle\frac{1}{arcsin(y_0)})} [/itex]

For the life me, I can't see to get the answer given? Even wolfram alpha confirms that what I have it correct.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+of+1/arcsin(y)

Are we both correct? Because I can't see to show they are both equal to each other.
I get the same result you get.

Related to Derivative of the inverse of sin(1/x)

What is the derivative of the inverse of sin(1/x)?

The derivative of the inverse of sin(1/x) is calculated using the chain rule and is equal to -x^2/(|x| * sqrt(1-x^2)).

Why is the derivative of the inverse of sin(1/x) important?

The derivative of the inverse of sin(1/x) is important because it helps us find the rate of change of a function that involves the inverse of sin(1/x). This can be useful in applications such as physics and engineering.

How do you find the derivative of the inverse of sin(1/x)?

To find the derivative of the inverse of sin(1/x), first rewrite the function as sin^-1(1/x). Then, use the chain rule, which states that the derivative of f^-1(x) is equal to 1/f'(f^-1(x)). In this case, f(x) = sin(1/x), so f'(x) = -cos(1/x) * (-1/x^2). Substituting these values into the chain rule formula gives us the derivative of the inverse of sin(1/x).

What is the domain of the inverse of sin(1/x)?

The domain of the inverse of sin(1/x) is all real numbers except for 0, since sin(1/x) is undefined at x = 0.

Can the derivative of the inverse of sin(1/x) be simplified?

Yes, the derivative of the inverse of sin(1/x) can be simplified to -x^2/(|x| * sqrt(1-x^2)) by factoring out a -1/x^2 from the expression -x^2 * cos(1/x).