Derivative of lagrangian density

In summary: But the lagrangian has only 4 degrees of freedom. So there is a gauge freedom. You can add arbitrary functions of x, y, z, t to the lagrangian, and the equations of motion will still be satisfied. So if you add some function of x, y, z, t to the lagrangian, you will change \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t})} by some function of x, y, z, t. That's what I meant when I said that \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t})} is not a function of \phi and \
kawillzocken
i have a mathematical question which is quite similar to one asked before, still a bit different
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...agrangian-density-for-real-k-g-theory.781472/the first term of KG-Lagrangian is: [itex]\frac{1}{2}(\partial^{\mu} \phi)(\partial_{\mu} \phi)[/itex]
when i try do find [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial^{\mu}\phi)}[/itex], i have two different options, where of course only one can be right.

1) [itex]\partial^{\mu} \phi[/itex] and [itex]\partial_{\mu} \phi[/itex] are different things, so one gets: [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial^{\mu}\phi)} = \frac{1}{2}\partial_{\mu} \phi[/itex]

2) [itex]\partial_{\mu} \phi = \eta_{\mu \nu} \partial^{\nu} \phi \rightarrow \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial^{\mu}\phi)} = \frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial^{\mu}\phi)}(\frac{1}{2}\eta_{\mu \nu}(\partial^{\nu} \phi)(\partial^{\mu} \phi)) = \partial_{\mu} \phi[/itex]

i am confused. several sources tell me that 2) is right, but my understanding of partial derivative tells me to do 1).

as i think of it, one may not simply put equations into others when doing the partial derivative, because it then changes. like z(x, y(x)) = 2x + y(x). partial derivative with respect to x gives 2, but it changes when i put in y(x).

help please :)
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Option 2 is correct. The quantities ##\partial_\mu\phi## and ##\partial^\mu\phi## may not be equal, but they do not correspond to different degrees of freedom (they are related by a sign). Compare this to differentiating ##-x## with respect to ##x##, ##-x## is not equal to ##x##, but it is directly dependent.

kawillzocken said:
i have a mathematical question which is quite similar to one asked before, still a bit different
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...agrangian-density-for-real-k-g-theory.781472/the first term of KG-Lagrangian is: [itex]\frac{1}{2}(\partial^{\mu} \phi)(\partial_{\mu} \phi)[/itex]
when i try do find [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial^{\mu}\phi)}[/itex], i have two different options, where of course only one can be right.

1) [itex]\partial^{\mu} \phi[/itex] and [itex]\partial_{\mu} \phi[/itex] are different things, so one gets: [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial^{\mu}\phi)} = \frac{1}{2}\partial_{\mu} \phi[/itex]

No, they are definitely not independent. If you write it with the metric, then this becomes more obvious:

[itex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2}g^{\mu \nu} (\partial_{\mu} \phi\ \partial_{\nu} \phi)[/itex]

So [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial^{\sigma} \phi)} = \frac{1}{2}g^{\mu \nu} (\delta^\sigma_\mu \partial_{\nu} \phi + \delta^\sigma_\nu \partial_{\mu} \phi) = \frac{1}{2} (g^{\sigma \nu} \partial_{\nu} \phi + g^{\mu \sigma} \partial_{\mu} \phi) = \frac{1}{2} (\partial^{\sigma} \phi + \partial^{\sigma} \phi) = \partial^{\sigma} \phi [/itex]

i do not say they are independent. y(x) and x are not indepentent either, still in a partial derivative of z with respect to x, one does not consider the y(x).

so orodruin, i see that they are related by the metric. y(x) is also related to x by its defining function. so i do still not get the point, where my z-function analogy is failing.
do y and x correspond to different degrees of freedom in z?

regards, kawillzocken

kawillzocken said:
i do not say they are independent. y(x) and x are not indepentent either, still in a partial derivative of z with respect to x, one does not consider the y(x).

so orodruin, i see that they are related by the metric. y(x) is also related to x by its defining function. so i do still not get the point, where my z-function analogy is failing.

regards, kawillzocken

Let's make it a lot simpler, by considering only 1 space dimension and 1 time dimension. Then the lagrangian is:

[itex]\mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2}(\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t} - \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x})[/itex]

I think it's pretty obviousthat [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t})} = \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}[/itex]. Right?

kawillzocken said:

regards, kawillzocken

In a second-order differential equation for [itex]\phi[/itex] (which is what the lagrangian equations of motion produce), to know [itex]\phi[/itex] everywhere, it is good enough to specify [itex]\phi, \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z}, \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial t}[/itex] at a single point [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0, t_0)[/itex]. Those are 5 completely independent choices.

Related to Derivative of lagrangian density

What is the Lagrangian density?

The Lagrangian density is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to describe the dynamics of a system. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of a system, and is used to determine the equations of motion for the system.

Why is the derivative of the Lagrangian density important?

The derivative of the Lagrangian density is important because it represents the rate of change of the Lagrangian with respect to time. This value is used in the Euler-Lagrange equations to determine the equations of motion for a system, making it a crucial step in solving many physical problems.

How is the derivative of the Lagrangian density calculated?

The derivative of the Lagrangian density is calculated using the Euler-Lagrange equations, which involve taking the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to all relevant variables (such as position, velocity, and time). These equations can then be solved to find the equations of motion for the system.

What is the physical significance of the derivative of the Lagrangian density?

The derivative of the Lagrangian density has physical significance as it represents the rate of change of the system's energy. This can provide valuable information about the behavior and stability of the system, and can also be used to calculate other important quantities such as momentum and angular momentum.

What are some applications of the derivative of the Lagrangian density?

The derivative of the Lagrangian density has a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. It is used in classical mechanics to solve problems involving systems of particles, in relativity to calculate the equations of motion for objects in spacetime, and in field theory to describe the behavior of fields. It also has applications in areas such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.