Derivative of Fraction using power rule

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of the function f(x) = 3 - 3/5x and concludes that the derivative is 3/5x^2. The conversation also touches on the importance of guiding others and not doing their work for them.
Phyzwizz
The problem:
f(x)=3-3/5x

So I'm perfectly fine with finding the derivatives with stuff but I wasn't sure about this one. Would this be 0 because there is a three in the numerator and no x?
Or would it be 3-1/51-1=3-1=2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, is that [itex] f(x) = 3 - \frac35 x[/itex] or [itex] f(x) = 3 - \frac3{5x} [/itex]?

f(x)=3−3/5x
The derivative of 3 is going to be zero because its a constant.
Bring the x to the numunator.

Then you get 3x^-1/5. Apply the power rule
You get:

(-1)3x^-1-1/5 = -3x^-2/5

Now rewrite with postive exponants:

f'(x)= 3/5x^2

Thanks, that was pretty easy!

Hi Windowmaker. The point of these forums is to help guide people to the solution, not to do it for them.

I aplogize, I am new here. I won't make that mistake in the future!

Last edited:
No problem. I made that mistake when I was new too. Have fun and enjoy the forums.

Related to Derivative of Fraction using power rule

What is the power rule for finding the derivative of a fraction?

The power rule states that the derivative of a fraction is equal to the denominator raised to the power of the numerator minus one, multiplied by the derivative of the numerator over the original denominator.

Can the power rule be used for any fraction?

Yes, the power rule can be used for any fraction, as long as the numerator and denominator are both functions that can be differentiated.

How do you apply the power rule to a fraction with negative exponents?

If a fraction has a negative exponent, you can rewrite it as the reciprocal of the fraction with the exponent made positive. Then, you can apply the power rule as usual.

Can the power rule be used for fractions with multiple terms?

Yes, the power rule can be applied to fractions with multiple terms by applying the rule to each individual term and then combining the derivatives using the rules of algebra.

What is the purpose of using the power rule for finding the derivative of a fraction?

The power rule allows us to find the slope or rate of change of a fraction at a specific point, which is useful in many applications of mathematics, physics, and engineering.