Derivative of exponential function

In summary, to find the derivative of y = (2x-1)^(tan(3x)), the chain rule and exponent rule can be applied. To do this, the function can be separated into three functions: f(x) = (2x-1)^x, g(x) = tanx, and h(x) = 3x. Then, using implicit differentiation and taking the natural log of both sides, the derivative can be found.
cal.queen92

Homework Statement

I am trying the find the derivative of the function:

y= (2x-1)^(tan(3x))

Homework Equations

Chain rule, in this case: f'(g(h(x))) * g'(h(x)) * h'(x)

exponent rule: where (d/dx) a^x = (a^x) ln a

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel as if to apply the chain rule, I need to separate the function into three functions:

f(x) = (2x-1)^x g(x) = tanx h(x) = 3x

However, from here, I am not sure how to differentiate (2x-1)^x

How can I apply the exponent rule to this function?

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try taking the natural log of both sides of y = (2x-1)^(tan(3x)) and performing implicit differentiation.

Last edited:
Thank you!

Related to Derivative of exponential function

1. What is the formula for the derivative of an exponential function?

The formula for the derivative of an exponential function is d/dx(e^x) = e^x, where e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828.

2. How do I find the derivative of an exponential function with a different base?

To find the derivative of an exponential function with a different base, you can use the property that e^x = (a^x)^(1/ln(a)), where a is the base of the exponential function. Then, you can use the chain rule to find the derivative.

3. Can the derivative of an exponential function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an exponential function can be negative. The derivative of an exponential function represents the rate of change of the function at a specific point, so it can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the value of the exponential function at that point.

4. How does the derivative of an exponential function relate to its graph?

The derivative of an exponential function is equal to the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the graph of the exponential function. This means that the steeper the graph of the exponential function, the larger the derivative will be at that point.

5. What is the application of the derivative of an exponential function in real life?

The derivative of an exponential function has many real-life applications, such as in finance, biology, and physics. In finance, it can be used to model compound interest and investment growth. In biology, it can be used to model population growth. In physics, it can be used to model radioactive decay and other natural phenomena.