Derivative of Arctan Function: Get Help!

• Thread starter emmaerin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: Now you can use the Quotient Rule, or just the Chain Rule, to find the derivative of ##y=\arctan\left(\frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)^{1/2}##.##y' = \frac{1}{2(1 + \frac{1+x}{1-x})}\left(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{1+x}{1-x}}} \right)\left(\frac{1-x - (1+x)}{(1-x)^2} \right)####\displaystyle y' = -\frac{1}{2(1+x)} \frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{1+x}{1-x}}} \frac{-2
emmaerin

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of the function. Simplify where possible.
y= arctan ( (1+x)/(1-x))^1/2

Homework Equations

d/dx (arctan x) = 1/(1+x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure where to even begin, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
emmaerin said:

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of the function. Simplify where possible.
y= arctan ( (1+x)/(1-x))^1/2

Homework Equations

d/dx (arctan x) = 1/(1+x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure where to even begin, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hello emmaerin. Welcome to PF !

You will need to use the Chain Rule.

Also, the Quotient Rule will likely come into play.

To remove any ambiguity regarding the function you are differentiating, is it

[itex]\displaystyle y= \arctan\left(\left(\frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)^{1/2}\right)\ ?[/itex]

Likes 1 person
Thank you! And yes, that is the correct function.

Use the substitution ##x=\cos(2\theta)## to simplify the function and then find the derivative.

Could you please explain further? Where did the cos come from? (I apologize if this is basic; I've missed a week's worth of classes due to a lung infection and I'm desperately trying to catch up.)

emmaerin said:
Could you please explain further? Where did the cos come from? (I apologize if this is basic; I've missed a week's worth of classes due to a lung infection and I'm desperately trying to catch up.)

Notice that the domain of the function is ##[-1,1)##, this allows us to use the substitution ##x=\cos(2\theta)##. Algebra simplifies greatly with this.
$$y=\arctan\left(\sqrt{\frac{1+x}{1-x}}\right)=\arctan\left(\sqrt{\frac{1+\cos(2\theta)}{1-\cos(2\theta)}}\right)$$
Using the identity: ##\cos(2\theta)=2\cos^2\theta-1=1-2\sin^2\theta##,
$$y=\arctan\left(\sqrt{\frac{\cos^2\theta}{\sin^2\theta}}\right) = \arctan \left(\tan\left(\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta\right)\right)=\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta$$
Substitute back ##\theta=\frac{1}{2}\cos^{-1}x## and finding the derivative of this is easier than the original function.

Or you can simply use chain rule find the derivative.

Likes 1 person
emmaerin said:

It would simplify the problem, but you do not need it. Just apply Chain Rule. Do you know what it is? You might see

ehild

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
This is where I am so far, using the chain rule. Could someone help me figure out where I'm going wrong/what comes next? Thanks!

y = arctan ( (1+x)/(1-x) )^1/2

1. y' = 1/ (1 + (1+x)/(1-x)) * 1/2 ( (1+x)/(1-x) )^-1/2 * ( (1-x)(1) - (1+x)(-1) ) / (1-x)^2

2. y' = (1-x)/2 * 1/2 ( (1-x)/(1+x) )^1/2 * 2 / (1-x)^2

3. y'=1/2 ( (1-x)/(1+x) ) ^1/2 * 1 / (1-x)

The next step is to simplify. Hint: For x<1, 1-x>0 so 1-x = sqrt((1-x)^2) if x<1.

1 / (2 * (1 - x^2)^1/2 ) ?

Very good.

Likes 1 person

Related to Derivative of Arctan Function: Get Help!

1. What is the derivative of arctan(x)?

The derivative of arctan(x) is 1/(1+x^2).

2. How do I find the derivative of arctan(x)?

To find the derivative of arctan(x), use the formula 1/(1+x^2).

3. Can I use the chain rule to find the derivative of arctan(x)?

Yes, you can use the chain rule to find the derivative of arctan(x). The derivative of arctan(x) is the same as the derivative of tan^-1(x).

4. What is the domain of the derivative of arctan(x)?

The derivative of arctan(x) has a domain of all real numbers except x = ±i, where i is the imaginary unit.

5. Why is the derivative of arctan(x) useful?

The derivative of arctan(x) is useful in finding the slope of a curve at a specific point on the graph of arctan(x). It is also helpful in solving problems involving rates of change and optimization.