Derivative of an inverse function

In summary: Also, images can be rotated, and we may not be able to read any handwriting or the handwriting may be blurry. It's just more work for us in general. So please type out the problems and your work in the future.In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with two problems involving finding the derivative of the inverse of a given function at a given point. The student initially posted images of the problems and their work, but was advised to type them out instead. The helpers also suggested using LaTeX or BBCodes for formatting. The conversation ends with a reminder to type out problems in the future for easier understanding and assistance.
thegoosegirl42

Homework Statement

I will post a picture of the problem and then the second picture will be my work. The problems are the first two.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't know how to do this at first so I don't know if I am doing it correctly now. Also I don't know the correct answer.

Attachments

• 1427047344638-153805890.jpg
    1427047344638-153805890.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 491
  • 1427047642666531239076.jpg
    1427047642666531239076.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
Try using ##f(f^{-1}(x))=x ## and differentiate both sides. EDIT I am assuming the necessary conditions hold.

Last edited:
Please don't post images in lieu of typing out the problem statement and work.

The problems are to find (a) ##(f^{-1})'(13)## given that ##f(x)=2x^3-7x-20##, and (b) ##(f^{-1})'(6.5)## given that ##f(x) = \frac{2}{x^2}+3x##. (Would it have killed you to type that out?)

Your approach isn't correct. For one thing, you're writing upside down. What's more important, you're finding ##(f')^{-1}##, but you're asked to find ##(f^{-1})'## evaluated at the given point.

Use WWGD's hint (or look in your textbook or notes) to find the relationship between ##f'(x)## and ##(f^{-1})'(y)## where ##y=f(x)##. You could also think about how the slope of the curve at a point changes when you reflect the curve about the line y=x.

vela said:
For one thing, you're writing upside down.
She might be writing the right way up, but the posted image of her work is upside-down.
@thegoosegirl42, if you post images, please take care to post them with the right orientation. Many helpers won't bother with posts where the work is shown in an image, let alone where the image is sideways or upside-down.

Mark44 said:
She might be writing the right way up, but the posted image of her work is upside-down.
@thegoosegirl42, if you post images, please take care to post them with the right orientation. Many helpers won't bother with posts where the work is shown in an image, let alone where the image is sideways or upside-down.
Ya, I didn't check to make sure if it was oriented correctly. I just assumed it was.

vela said:
Please don't post images in lieu of typing out the problem statement and work.

The problems are to find (a) ##(f^{-1})'(13)## given that ##f(x)=2x^3-7x-20##, and (b) ##(f^{-1})'(6.5)## given that ##f(x) = \frac{2}{x^2}+3x##. (Would it have killed you to type that out?)

Your approach isn't correct. For one thing, you're writing upside down. What's more important, you're finding ##(f')^{-1}##, but you're asked to find ##(f^{-1})'## evaluated at the given point.

Use WWGD's hint (or look in your textbook or notes) to find the relationship between ##f'(x)## and ##(f^{-1})'(y)## where ##y=f(x)##. You could also think about how the slope of the curve at a point changes when you reflect the curve about the line y=x.
I figured posting a picture would be easier for people to see than typing it out. I for one don't like these problems typed out.

thegoosegirl42 said:
I figured posting a picture would be easier for people to see than typing it out. I for one don't like these problems typed out.
It's actually easier for us if you type the problems. That way we can insert a comment at the exact place where something is wrong. With an image, we can't do that, and we have to describe where the error is.

Related to Derivative of an inverse function

What is the derivative of an inverse function?

The derivative of an inverse function is the slope of the original function at a specific point, which can be found by taking the reciprocal of the slope of the inverse function at the corresponding point.

Why is the derivative of an inverse function important?

The derivative of an inverse function allows us to find the rate of change of the original function at a specific point, and can also be used to solve optimization problems and find critical points.

How do you find the derivative of an inverse function?

To find the derivative of an inverse function, you can use the formula: (f^-1)'(x) = 1/f'(f^-1(x)). Alternatively, you can use implicit differentiation or the inverse function theorem.

What is the relationship between the derivative of a function and its inverse?

The derivative of a function and its inverse are related by the fact that the derivative of the inverse function is the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function at the corresponding point. This means that if the derivative of a function is positive, the derivative of its inverse will be positive as well.

Can the derivative of an inverse function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an inverse function can be negative if the derivative of the original function is negative at the corresponding point. This indicates that the inverse function is decreasing at that point.