Derivative *of* a partial derivative

In summary, the action is a vector that represents the change in the total energy of a system over time. It is always perpendicular to the direction of motion.
Pollywoggy

Homework Statement

In books I have been using to learn about the Lagrangian function, I find equations that have a derivative of a partial derivative, as in the snippet below. Is there a place where I can learn how this works and *why* it works? I think I can do it mechanically but I want to understand what I am doing. What type of calculus books would have an explanation of it, advanced calculus books?

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} (\displaystyle \frac{\partial T}{\partial \dot{q}_\alpha}) [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean HOW does it work... You're just taking the derivative of something that has already been derivated.

It's like

[tex] F(x,t) = xe^{t^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} = e^{t^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}) = 2te^{t^{2}} [/tex]

To me it's fairly straightforward.. You're just taking a derivative wrt time of a derivative wrt something else. I don't understand what you mean when you ask 'WHY' this works.

Clever-Name said:
What do you mean HOW does it work... You're just taking the derivative of something that has already been derivated.

It's like

[tex] F(x,t) = xe^{t^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial x} = e^{t^{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}) = 2te^{t^{2}} [/tex]

To me it's fairly straightforward.. You're just taking a derivative wrt time of a derivative wrt something else. I don't understand what you mean when you ask 'WHY' this works.

Thanks, I think you just answered my question :)
As I was reading your reply, I was watching one of Leonard Susskind's videos and he happened to be explaining something involving the Lagrangian function and I think he also answered my question. I am going to go over that part of the video again. It's #4 in the Phys 25 (Classical Mechanics) series, where he discusses symmetry and the "action".

Related to Derivative *of* a partial derivative

1. What is the definition of a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative calculated?

To calculate a partial derivative, you take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable of interest, treating all other variables as constants.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a regular derivative?

A partial derivative only considers the change in one variable at a time, while a regular derivative considers the change in all variables simultaneously.

4. Can a function have multiple partial derivatives?

Yes, a function can have multiple partial derivatives, each with respect to a different variable.

5. What is the purpose of calculating partial derivatives?

Calculating partial derivatives allows us to analyze how a function changes with respect to specific variables, and is useful in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.