Derivative of a complex function in terms of real and imaginary parts.

In summary, the conversation discusses the truth of the statement that for a complex function f, expressed as f=u+iv, f'(z) is equal to the partial derivative of u with respect to x plus i times the partial derivative of v with respect to x. It is suggested to look at Theorem I.5.3 of "Complex Analysis" by Freitag and Busam for more information and examples. The conversation also mentions that the function must satisfy Cauchy-Riemann equations and how to find the derivative in another direction.
gauss mouse
Hi, I wonder if anyone knows when (maybe always?) it is true that, where

[itex]z=x+iy \text{ and } f : \mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C} \text{ is expressed as } f=u+iv, \text{ that }
f'(z)=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+i\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}?
[/itex]
I'm pretty sure that this is true for [itex]f=exp.[/itex]

I should be able to find this but searching google for mathematics is a nightmare.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
if [itex]f(z)[/itex] is analytical function, you can take derivative in any direction on complex plane of [itex]z[/itex], e.g. take it along real axis [itex]dz = dx[/itex].

gauss mouse said:

[itex]z=x+iy \text{ and } f : \mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C} \text{ is expressed as } f=u+iv, \text{ that }
[/itex]

I should be able to find this but searching google for mathematics is a nightmare.

This is indeed true. But remember that a complex differentiable function must satisfy Cauchy-Riemann equations!

I suggest looking at Theorem I.5.3 of "Complex Analysis" by Freitag and Busam. A free preview is available at google books.

quZz said:
Hi,
if [itex]f(z)[/itex] is analytical function, you can take derivative in any direction on complex plane of [itex]z[/itex], e.g. take it along real axis [itex]dz = dx[/itex].

Thanks for your help. I should have specified that f be analytic.Say I wanted to take the derivative in another direction, not along the real or imaginary axis, how would I do that?

Last edited:
micromass said:
This is indeed true. But remember that a complex differentiable function must satisfy Cauchy-Riemann equations!

I suggest looking at Theorem I.5.3 of "Complex Analysis" by Freitag and Busam. A free preview is available at google books.

Thanks for your help. That looks from the preview like a nice book. I'll see if I can find it in the college library.

gauss mouse said:
Say I wanted to take the derivative in another direction, not along the real or imaginary axis, how would I do that?

This isn't really a question about real analysis, but rather about multivariable limits.

Say we have the unit vector [itex](a,b)[/itex]. To find the derivative in that direction, we can do this by

[tex]a\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+b\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]

This can be done if the function is differentiable at the point.

Well, you'll get the same answer because f(z) is analytic, it follows from definition. You can use Cauchy-Riemann equations to get different forms of df/dz.

gauss mouse said:

[/itex]

A complex differentiable function may be thought of as a real differentiable function whose Jacobian is multiplication by a complex number. As a linear transformation of R^2 a complex number is a rotation followed by a dilation. This gives you the relations between the partial derivatives of f.

Related to Derivative of a complex function in terms of real and imaginary parts.

1. What is the definition of a complex function?

A complex function is a mathematical function that maps a complex number to another complex number. This means that both the input and output of the function are complex numbers, which consist of a real part and an imaginary part.

2. How is the derivative of a complex function defined?

The derivative of a complex function is defined as the rate of change of the function with respect to its input. It is calculated by taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the input approaches zero.

3. Can the derivative of a complex function be expressed in terms of its real and imaginary parts?

Yes, the derivative of a complex function can be expressed in terms of its real and imaginary parts. This is known as the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which state that the derivative of a complex function is equal to the partial derivative of the real part with respect to the real variable, plus the partial derivative of the imaginary part with respect to the imaginary variable, multiplied by the imaginary unit i.

4. What is the significance of the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Cauchy-Riemann equations are significant because they provide a way to calculate the derivative of a complex function without using the limit definition. They also reveal important properties of complex functions, such as the relationship between the real and imaginary parts.

5. Are there any special cases in which the Cauchy-Riemann equations do not hold?

Yes, there are some special cases in which the Cauchy-Riemann equations do not hold. These include functions that are not differentiable at a certain point, functions with a singularity, and functions with a non-continuous derivative. In these cases, the Cauchy-Riemann equations cannot be used to calculate the derivative of the function.