Derivation of the energy principle from Gregory Classical Mechanics textbook

In summary, Gregory derives energy conservation for a system of N particles with conservative external forces. He uses the integral of the force dot product with velocity to show that the potentials are time independent and can be written as a position integral. This is because the potentials are path independent, so integrating from tA to tB is the same as integrating from rA to rB. This implies that the path taken does not affect the change in potential energy.
zackiechan
I'm working through Gregory's Classical Mechanics and came across his derivation of energy conservation for a system of N particles that is unconstrained. We get to assume all the external forces are conservative, so we can write them as the gradient of a potential energy. There's a step he makes in the derivation that has me confused.

By Gregory, the total work done by all the external forces (that's the Fis ) is:

$$\sum_{i=1}^{N} \int_{t_A}^{t_B} \vec{F_i} \cdot \vec{v_i} dt = \sum_{i=1}^{N} (\phi_i(\vec{r_A}) - \phi_i(\vec{r_B})) $$

What I don't understand is how to go from the integral:

$$\int_{t_A}^{t_B} \vec{F_i} \cdot \vec{v_i} dt$$ to the potentials.

My idea is:

$$\int_{t_A}^{t_B} \vec{F_i} \cdot \vec{v_i} dt = \int_{t_A}^{t_B} -\nabla \phi_i \cdot \vec{v_i} dt = \int_{\vec{r_A}}^{\vec{r_B}} -\nabla \phi_i \cdot \vec{dr} = \phi_i(\vec{r_A}) - \phi_i(\vec{r_B})$$

My questions are :

Can we go from a time integral to a position integral without messing with the potentials? I know they are path independent, but are they time independent?

Does integrating from tA to tB do the same sum as integrating from rA to rB?

Physics news on Phys.org
zackiechan said:
Can we go from a time integral to a position integral without messing with the potentials? I know they are path independent, but are they time independent?
If they were not time independent you would typically induce energy into the system simply by the change in potential.

zackiechan said:
Does integrating from tA to tB do the same sum as integrating from rA to rB?
Yes. The path taken is just a particular parametrisation of a path from A to B.

Likes BvU
Thank you very much for the response. I really like the logic behind the potentials being time independent!

Related to Derivation of the energy principle from Gregory Classical Mechanics textbook

1. What is the energy principle in classical mechanics?

The energy principle in classical mechanics states that the total energy of a system remains constant, unless it is affected by an external force.

2. How is the energy principle derived from Gregory's Classical Mechanics textbook?

The energy principle is derived from Gregory's Classical Mechanics textbook by using the equations of motion and the principle of conservation of energy.

3. Why is the energy principle important in classical mechanics?

The energy principle is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of how energy behaves in physical systems. It also allows for the prediction and analysis of motion and interactions between objects.

4. Are there any limitations to the energy principle in classical mechanics?

Yes, there are limitations to the energy principle in classical mechanics. It assumes that there are no external forces acting on the system, and it does not take into account the effects of relativity or quantum mechanics.

5. How is the energy principle applied in real-world situations?

The energy principle is applied in real-world situations by using it to analyze and predict the behavior of physical systems, such as the movement of objects, the motion of planets, and the interactions between particles. It is also used in engineering and technology to design and improve various systems and machines.