Derivation of Sudarshan-Glauber P function

In summary, the conversation discusses a coursework on Quantum Optics and the derivation of the P-function from the book Quantum Optics by Marlan O.Scully and M. Suhail Zubairy. The relevant equations and a part of the solution are provided in the conversation. The conversation also includes a question about expanding a function, but the solution is straightforward and easily derived from the given equations.
Muthumanimaran

Homework Statement

It is not a problem, But I am doing a coursework on Quantum Optics on my own. The following derivation is for P-function in Quantum optics from the book Quantum Optics by Marlan O.Scully and M. Suhail Zubairy. I attached the Image of the derivation with this Question.

Homework Equations

Relevant Equations are given in the Image

The Attempt at a Solution

I expanded the trace in the (3.1.11) in |α> basis. But I am unable to get (3.1.13).

Attachments

• P-function.jpg
    P-function.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
Muthumanimaran said:

Homework Statement

It is not a problem, But I am doing a coursework on Quantum Optics on my own. The following derivation is for P-function in Quantum optics from the book Quantum Optics by Marlan O.Scully and M. Suhail Zubairy. I attached the Image of the derivation with this Question.

Homework Equations

Relevant Equations are given in the Image

The Attempt at a Solution

I expanded the trace in the (3.1.11) in |α> basis. But I am unable to get (3.1.13).
They are just saying that (by definition),

$$ \int d^2 \alpha ~~\delta(a- \alpha) \delta(a^\dagger - \alpha^*) f(\alpha) f(\alpha^*) = f(a) f(a^\dagger) $$

Yeah I absolutely understand that, but I don't know how to expand f(a)f(a†). Can you help me with this?

Muthumanimaran said:
Yeah I absolutely understand that, but I don't know how to expand f(a)f(a†). Can you help me with this?
Ah, but then 3.1.13 follows directly from 3.1.11 with the choice ## f(a) = a^m## and ## f(a^\dagger) = (a^\dagger)^n##. That's all there is to it. I am not sure what the question is, then.

Oh yes, I confused myself a bit. Now I got. Its pretty straightforward. Thank you.

Related to Derivation of Sudarshan-Glauber P function

What is the Sudarshan-Glauber P function?

The Sudarshan-Glauber P function is a mathematical function used in quantum optics to describe the probability of detecting a certain number of photons in a particular mode of light. It was first introduced by E. C. G. Sudarshan and Roy J. Glauber in 1963.

How is the Sudarshan-Glauber P function derived?

The Sudarshan-Glauber P function is derived using the principles of quantum mechanics and the concept of coherent states. It involves performing a transformation on the quantum state of a light field, which results in a classical distribution of photon number probabilities.

What are the applications of the Sudarshan-Glauber P function?

The Sudarshan-Glauber P function is widely used in the field of quantum optics for various applications, such as studying the statistics of light in optical systems, characterizing non-classical states of light, and analyzing the behavior of light in quantum measurements.

How does the Sudarshan-Glauber P function differ from other photon distribution functions?

The Sudarshan-Glauber P function differs from other photon distribution functions, such as the Poisson and Gaussian distributions, in that it takes into account the quantum nature of light. It can accurately describe the statistics of light in both classical and non-classical regimes.

Are there any limitations to the Sudarshan-Glauber P function?

One limitation of the Sudarshan-Glauber P function is that it assumes the light field to be in a coherent state, which may not always be the case in practical situations. It also does not take into account the effects of losses and imperfections in the optical system, which can affect the accuracy of the derived results.