Derivation of some integral formulas

In summary: But the principle is the same.In summary, the integrals in the image are well-known, but we are not allowed to use them in the test. I have tried to prove them using changing variable t, but I didn't succeed. Can you show me the way?
Edd257
Hi,

The integrals in the image are well-known, but we are not allowed to use them in the test.

I have tried to prove them using changing variable t, but I didn't succeed.

Can you show me the way?
YvnnR3H.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Edd257 said:
Hi,

The integrals in the image are well-known, but we are not allowed to use them in the test.

Can you show me the way?
YvnnR3H.jpg
Show us your actual work on at least one example above---whether it failed or not.

What do you mean by "not allowed to use them"? How would being able to prove them help you on a test?

The first and fourth can be done by considering the derivatives of arctan and arcsin. The second and third by factoring and "partial fractions".

Edd257 said:
Hi,

Can you show me the way?
[ IMG]http://i.imgur.com/YvnnR3H.jpg[/PLAIN]
For the first integral, try the trig substitution, ## x = a\cdot\tan(\theta)\ ##.

Attachments

• YvnnR3H.jpg
    YvnnR3H.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 395
Geez I didn't think it was necessary to use a trig substitution for any of these. In the first three you can just multiply the numerator & denominator by 1/a2 & in the last two multiply numerator & denominator by 1/a.

ok,

I succeed proving number one and four- please check if I did it correctly.
But I still didn't understand how to prove the rest... how do I use partial fractions?
can you show me the way on one of the other integrals?
26R3FQy.jpg
tjaQ3Wg.jpg

fourier jr said:
Geez I didn't think it was necessary to use a trig substitution for any of these. In the first three you can just multiply the numerator & denominator by 1/a2 & in the last two multiply numerator & denominator by 1/a.

I have tried to do that in your way in the second integral and didn't succeed.
Can you show me your way?

Hey, I'm on my mobile right now so I can't see your proves for first and four integrals but for the second and third use simple fractions. I mean, you have the denominator

a^2 - x^2 = (a+x)(a-x)

So you can write

1/(a^2 - x^2) = 1/((a+x)(a-x)) = A/(a+x) + B/(a-x)

For some constants A, B which you should find easily then you just have a sum of two integrals which are two logarithms and using a basic property of log you will get what you are looking for. Third integral is analogous to this.

Should I said why take abs value?

Tnx, now I got it.

But I still didn't understand how to solve the last integral...

I need to use some substitution t?

I think in the last one you need to use the substitution x = a⋅sec θ then dx = a⋅secθ⋅tanθ dθ etc

fourier jr said:
I think in the last one you need to use the substitution x = a⋅sec θ then dx = a⋅secθ⋅tanθ dθ etc
That works for the " - " sign. Alternatively, you can use x = a ⋅ cosh(u) .

Use x = a⋅sinh(u) for the "+" sign.

Of course the results will look a bit different: cosh-1(x/a) & sinh-1(x/a) .

Related to Derivation of some integral formulas

1. What is the purpose of deriving integral formulas?

Deriving integral formulas allows us to find the exact values of integrals, which are important in many areas of science and mathematics. It also helps us understand the relationships between different functions and their integrals.

2. What are the steps involved in deriving an integral formula?

The first step is to identify the function that we want to find the integral formula for. Then, we use the properties of integrals, such as linearity and the fundamental theorem of calculus, to manipulate the function and simplify it. Finally, we use known integral formulas or techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to arrive at the final integral formula.

3. Can integral formulas be used for any function?

No, integral formulas can only be derived for certain types of functions, such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. For more complex functions, numerical methods may be used to approximate the value of the integral.

4. How are integral formulas used in real-world applications?

Integral formulas are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the area under a curve, which is important in determining quantities such as work, displacement, and profit.

5. Are there alternative methods to deriving integral formulas?

Yes, there are various techniques and methods for evaluating integrals, such as numerical integration, series expansions, and contour integration. However, deriving integral formulas is often the most efficient and accurate method for finding the exact value of an integral.