Derivation of Lorentz Time Transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving the Lorentz time transformation using the equations for gamma and the Lorentz space transformation. There is a mention of using relevant equations from a previous class and an error that is corrected on the white board. The final result is an expression that allows for the calculation of t' using x and t.
Eipi
Homework Statement
Derive the Lorentz Time Transformation
Relevant Equations
g (I am using g instead of gamma)=1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
x'=(x-vt)/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
I have to derive the Lorentz time transformation given the equation for gamma and the equation for the Lorentz space transformation.
I started by using relevant equations from the Space derivation done in class (also the one that Ramamurti Shankar does). Here is a picture of what I have tried. (Yes, I am using g instead of gamma).

Attachments

• IMG_8141.JPG
    IMG_8141.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 164
Physics news on Phys.org
You've made an arithmetic slip between the bottom of the first column and the top of the second. Correct that and it should come out right.

Last edited:
On the white board you write
[tex]x'=\frac{x-vt}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}[/tex]
So you can expect by relativity with changing v to -v,
[tex]x=\frac{x'+vt'}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}[/tex]
It enables you to express t' by x and t.

I spotted my algebraic mistake! Thank you so much!

Related to Derivation of Lorentz Time Transformation

What is the Lorentz Time Transformation?

The Lorentz Time Transformation is a mathematical formula that describes how time intervals and events are perceived differently by observers in different frames of reference, particularly in the context of special relativity.

Why is the Lorentz Time Transformation important?

The Lorentz Time Transformation is important because it allows us to understand and predict how time and events are perceived by observers in different frames of reference, which is crucial for accurately describing the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

How is the Lorentz Time Transformation derived?

The Lorentz Time Transformation is derived from the principles of special relativity, specifically the idea that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. It involves manipulating the equations for time and distance in different frames of reference to account for the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

What are the key assumptions in the derivation of the Lorentz Time Transformation?

The key assumptions in the derivation of the Lorentz Time Transformation are that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference.

How does the Lorentz Time Transformation differ from the Galilean Transformation?

The Galilean Transformation is a simpler formula that describes how time and position are perceived by observers in different frames of reference, but it does not account for the effects of special relativity. The Lorentz Time Transformation is a more complex formula that takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, making it more accurate for describing objects moving at high speeds.