Derivation of Lorentz algebra commutation relation

In summary, the Lorentz algebra generator ##J^{\mu \nu} = i(x^{\mu}\partial^{\nu}-x^{\nu}\partial^{\mu})## leads to the commutation relation ##[J^{\mu \nu}, J^{\rho \sigma}] = i(g^{\nu \rho}J^{\mu \sigma} - g^{\mu \rho}J^{\nu \sigma}-g^{\nu \sigma}J^{\mu \rho}+g^{\mu \sigma}J^{\nu \rho})##. One particular representation of the Lorentz group is given by ##(J^{\mu \nu})_{\alpha \
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

1. Show that the Lorentz algebra generator ##J^{\mu \nu} = i(x^{\mu}\partial^{\nu}-x^{\nu}\partial^{\mu})## lead to the commutation relation ##[J^{\mu \nu}, J^{\rho \sigma}] = i(g^{\nu \rho}J^{\mu \sigma} - g^{\mu \rho}J^{\nu \sigma}-g^{\nu \sigma}J^{\mu \rho}+g^{\mu \sigma}J^{\nu \rho})##.

2. Show that one particular representation of the the Lorentz group given by ##(J^{\mu \nu})_{\alpha \beta} = i(\delta^{\mu}_{\alpha}\delta^{\nu}_{\beta}-\delta^{\mu}_{\beta}\delta^{\nu}_{\alpha})##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##[J^{\mu \nu}, J^{\rho \sigma}]##

##= J^{\mu \nu}J^{\rho \sigma}-J^{\rho \sigma}J^{\mu \nu}##

##= -(x^{\mu}\partial^{\nu}-x^{\nu}\partial^{\mu})(x^{\rho}\partial^{\sigma}-x^{\sigma}\partial^{\rho})+(x^{\rho}\partial^{\sigma}-x^{\sigma}\partial^{\rho})(x^{\mu}\partial^{\nu}-x^{\nu}\partial^{\mu})##.

How do I get the metric tensor from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you distribute terms you will find various factors like ##\partial^\nu x^\rho##.

How are those factors related to the metric tensor?

As far as I know, a term like ##\partial_{\nu}x^{\rho}## gives the Kronecker delta ##\delta_{\nu}^{\rho}##, not the metric tensor.

Now raise the index.

So, you say ##\delta_{\nu}^{\rho}## equals ##g^{\nu \rho}##?

Or, do I use ##\delta_{\nu}^{\rho} = g^{\nu \rho}g_{\nu \rho}##?

failexam said:
So, you say ##\delta_{\nu}^{\rho}## equals ##g^{\nu \rho}##?

Not exactly, ##\partial^\nu x^\rho = g^{\nu\mu} \partial_\mu x^\rho##. So use the result for ##\partial_\mu x^\rho## here.

Related to Derivation of Lorentz algebra commutation relation

1. What is the Lorentz algebra commutation relation?

The Lorentz algebra commutation relation is an important equation in the theory of special relativity. It describes the relationship between the generators of the Lorentz group, which is the mathematical representation of the symmetries of space and time.

2. Why is the Lorentz algebra commutation relation important?

The Lorentz algebra commutation relation is important because it allows us to understand how different physical quantities, such as energy and momentum, transform under the Lorentz group. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds and in the formulation of theories such as special relativity and quantum field theory.

3. How is the Lorentz algebra commutation relation derived?

The Lorentz algebra commutation relation can be derived using the fundamental principles of special relativity, such as the invariance of the speed of light and the equivalence of all inertial reference frames. By applying these principles to the transformations of energy and momentum, we can arrive at the commutation relation.

4. What are the implications of the Lorentz algebra commutation relation?

The Lorentz algebra commutation relation has many implications in physics. It allows us to understand the symmetries of space and time, which are fundamental to our understanding of the laws of nature. It also has practical applications in particle physics, where it is used to describe the behavior of particles at high energies.

5. Are there any variations of the Lorentz algebra commutation relation?

Yes, there are variations of the Lorentz algebra commutation relation that depend on the specific physical quantities being considered. For example, the commutation relation for spin operators is different from that of energy and momentum. However, all variations are derived from the same fundamental principles of special relativity and share the same underlying structure.