Derivation of "heat" equation w/ diffusion and convection

In summary, the goal is to derive the heat equation with convection, but for the case where u(x,t) models concentration changes by diffusion and convection. The idea is to use conservation of mass to do this.
Haydo

Homework Statement

The goal is to derive the heat equation with convection,
ut2uxx-vux
but for the case where u(x,t) instead models concentration changes by diffusion and convection. The idea is to use conservation of mass to do this.

Homework Equations

We are given:
Change of mass inside [x,x+Δx] = Change due to diffusion + Change due to material being carried across boundary

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve this problem for the case where we are using the actual heat equation, as it becomes a flux problem with Fourier's Law and some calc tricks, but I can't figure out how to set up this problem for material flow.

I think that u(x,t) should be in units of mass/vol of some sort, making ut have units of mass/(vol*time), and for the heat equation, LHS = d/dt(∫cρAu(s,t)ds), so I'd expect it to look something like that. Perhaps without the thermal capacity constant c in the equation. For the RHS, I'm pretty lost, as I can't use Fourier's law for a concentration problem, or at least I don't think I can.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Haydo said:
Change of mass inside [x,x+Δx] = Change due to diffusion + Change due to material being carried across boundary

Diffusion is also material (of what you are computing the concentration for) being carried across the boundary, with the net transport going in the direction of lower density. This is described by Fick's law, which is nothing else than the material equivalent of Fourier's law. Add a convection current and the mathematics are equivalent to the heat transfer situation.

Edit: Typo removed.

Last edited:
I would set up an equation relating the change in concentration over time to the flux. After, relate the flux to the gradient (in one dimension just w.r.t x).

Thanks guys! Fick's law was what I was looking for. Couldn't figure out what it was called. After that, the derivation is essentially that same as for heat.

Related to Derivation of "heat" equation w/ diffusion and convection

1. What is the heat equation and why is it important in science?

The heat equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of heat over time in a given space. It is important in science because it is used to model heat transfer in various systems, such as in thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and materials science. It also helps us understand the distribution of heat in a given medium, which has practical applications in fields such as engineering and meteorology.

2. How is the heat equation derived?

The heat equation is derived from the laws of thermodynamics and Fourier's law of heat conduction. It is a result of applying these laws to a small, infinitesimally thin slice of a material or medium, and then extrapolating the behavior to the entire system. This derivation involves mathematical concepts such as partial derivatives and integration.

3. What is the role of diffusion and convection in the heat equation?

Diffusion and convection are two mechanisms by which heat is transferred from one place to another. Diffusion is the process by which heat spreads out or moves from areas of higher temperature to lower temperature. Convection, on the other hand, involves the physical movement of a heated substance (usually a fluid) which carries heat along with it. Both diffusion and convection play a crucial role in the heat equation as they are responsible for the changes in temperature over time.

4. Can the heat equation be solved analytically or numerically?

The heat equation can be solved both analytically and numerically. Analytical solutions involve using mathematical techniques to obtain a closed-form solution, which can be expressed in terms of known functions. However, analytical solutions are not always possible, especially for complex systems. In such cases, numerical methods, which involve solving the equation numerically using a computer, are used to obtain an approximate solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of the heat equation?

The heat equation has numerous real-world applications, including predicting weather patterns, designing efficient heating and cooling systems, analyzing heat transfer in materials and structures, and modeling chemical reactions. It is also used in fields such as geology, astronomy, and medicine to study heat transfer in natural systems and biological processes.