Derivation of Green's Function

In summary, on page 4 of the link you provided, the formula on the top of page 4: \int_c\vec F\cdot(\hat T\times\hat k)ds=\int_c (\hat k \times \vec F)\cdot \hat T ds=\int_c -Qdx+Pdy.
yungman
The normal form of Green's function is ##\oint_c\vec F\cdot \hat n dl'=\oint_{s}\left(\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial N}{\partial y}\right)dxdy##

I want to get to
[tex]\oint _cMdy-Ndx=\oint_{s}\left(\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial N}{\partial y}\right)dxdy[/tex]

Let ##\vec F=\hat x M(x,y)+\hat y N(x,y)##
Let a rectangle area A with corners: ##(x,y),\;(x+\Delta x,y),\;(x+\Delta x,y+\Delta y),\;(x,y+\Delta y)##

[tex]\oint_c\vec F\cdot \hat n dl'=\int_{right}\vec F\cdot \hat x dy+\int_{left}\vec F\cdot(- \hat x) dy+\int_{top}\vec F\cdot \hat y dx+\int_{bottom}\vec F\cdot(- \hat y) dx[/tex]
[tex]=\int_c M(x+\Delta x,y) dy-\int_c M(x,y) dy+\int_c N(x,y+\Delta y) dx- \int_c N(x,y)dx\;=\;\oint_{s}\left(\frac{\partial M}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial N}{\partial y}\right)dxdy[/tex]

I can't get ##\oint _c Mdy-Ndx##

Please help

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
LCKurtz said:
Most calculus books have a proof of Green's theorem for regions as general as oval shapes. Also on the internet there are proofs. One is here:

http://www.math.mcgill.ca/jakobson/courses/ma265/green.pdf

I know there are tons of proofs using graph of type I and type II regions. But I want to proof without using graph and just by vector calculus. I have a question on Page 4 of the link you provided, the formula on the top of page 4:

[tex]\int_c\vec F\cdot(\hat T\times\hat k)ds=\int_c (\hat k \times \vec F)\cdot \hat T ds[/tex]

I want to verify how to get
[tex]\int_c (\hat k \times \vec F)\cdot \hat T ds=\int-Qdy+Pdx[/tex]
[tex]\vec s=\hat x x +\hat y y\Rightarrow\;d\vec s=\hat x dx +\hat y dy=\hat T ds[/tex]
[tex]\hat k\times \vec F=-\hat x Q+\hat y P\;\Rightarrow\; (\hat k \times \vec F)\cdot \hat T ds=-Qdx+Pdy[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \;\int_c (\hat k \times \vec F)\cdot \hat T ds=\int_c -Qdx+Pdy[/tex]

Thanks

Last edited:

Related to Derivation of Green's Function

1. What is the purpose of deriving Green's function?

Green's function is a mathematical tool used in solving differential equations. It allows us to find solutions to these equations in a more efficient and systematic way.

2. How is Green's function derived?

Green's function is derived by taking the inverse Laplace transform of the transfer function of a system. This results in a function that describes the response of the system to a delta function input.

3. What are the applications of Green's function?

Green's function has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used in solving boundary value problems, studying wave propagation, and analyzing systems with impulse inputs.

4. Can Green's function be used for nonlinear systems?

Green's function is typically used for linear systems, but it can also be extended to nonlinear systems by using the concept of superposition. However, this approach may not always yield accurate results and other methods may be more suitable for nonlinear systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Green's function?

One limitation of using Green's function is that it may not always exist or be easily obtainable for certain systems. In addition, it may not be applicable to systems with time-varying or non-constant coefficients. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations before applying Green's function to a specific problem.