Derivation of exponential density function for air

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between atmosphere, density, height, and scale height. The conversation mentions a previous derivation of the equation dP/dz = -gρ, where P is pressure, z is distance, g is acceleration due to gravity, and ρ is density. The attempt at a solution involves manipulating this equation and using the equation P(z) = ρg(h-z) to arrive at the final equation dρ(z)/ρ(z) = -dz/h. The conversation ends with the participant stating that they were able to solve the problem on their own.
tony_cruz

Homework Statement

If atmosphere can be treated as an isothermal ideal gas of constant mean molecular mass m, show that density drops exponentially with height - ρ= [ρ0]e^-z/h - where h is a constant

Homework Equations

ρ= [ρ0]exp^-z/h (derivation of ...)

ρ=density
ρ0=initial density at sea level
z = height
h = scale height (found in later question to be 8.5km)

The previous question was also a derivation -->
dP/dz = -gρ which I managed. May or not be a starting point to this question

(P = pressure, z = distance, g= acc due to grav, ρ = density)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've read my lecture notes about 100x but can't even begin to see where this derivation can come from. A previous derivation was the equation
dP/dz = -gρ
(P = pressure, z = distance, g= acc due to grav, ρ = density)

____
Sorry ese's, I posted this in the wrong section to start with.

Physics news on Phys.org
If one has P(z) = ρ(z) g (h-z), the since h >> z, P(z) ~ ρ(z) g (h) => dP(z) = dρ(z) gh

and using P(z) = ρg (h-z) then dP(z) = ρg -dz, but this assumes that ρ(z) is more or less constant.

one wants to end up with

dρ(z) gh = ρ(z) g -dz, which yields,

dρ(z)/ρ(z) = -dz/h

At the moment, I forget the argument for this approach. Hopefully, ones notes addresses the key parts.

Cheers, I got the rest myself. Thanks.

Related to Derivation of exponential density function for air

What is the derivation of the exponential density function for air?

The exponential density function for air is derived using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are related by the equation PV = nRT. By rearranging this equation and assuming that the number of moles of air remains constant, we can derive the exponential density function for air.

What is the significance of the exponential density function for air?

The exponential density function for air is significant because it allows us to calculate the density of air at different altitudes, which is important for understanding atmospheric pressure and temperature changes. It also helps us to model and predict the behavior of air in various conditions.

How is the exponential density function for air used in aviation?

In aviation, the exponential density function for air is used to calculate the air density at different altitudes, which is essential for determining aircraft performance, fuel consumption, and safety. It is also used in the design and testing of aircraft engines and other equipment that operate in different atmospheric conditions.

Can the exponential density function for air be applied to other gases?

Yes, the exponential density function can be applied to other gases as long as they follow the ideal gas law. However, the constants in the equation may need to be adjusted depending on the properties of the specific gas.

Are there any limitations to the exponential density function for air?

The exponential density function for air is based on ideal gas behavior, which may not always accurately represent the behavior of real gases. It also assumes a constant temperature and number of moles, which may not hold true in certain conditions. Additionally, this equation does not take into account other factors that can affect air density, such as humidity and air composition.