Density of States Homework: Show $\rho=Vk^{2}/\pi^{2}$

In summary: I'll need to take a look at the notes to get that right.In summary, the single particle energy levels in a cubic box are Ek=\hbar2k2/2m, where k is the magnitude of the wavevector K = (kx,ky,kz). The density in the k-space of the single particle states is given by \rho=Vk2/\pi2. The total kinetic energy of a non-relativistic gas of N electrons at T=0 is E=(V/5\pi2)(2me/\hbar2)3/2EF5/2.
madorangepand

Homework Statement

According to the non-relativistic quantum mechanics of a particle of mass m in a cubic box ov volume V = L3, the single particle energy levels are given by

Ek=[itex]\hbar[/itex]2k2/2m
where k is the magnitude of the wavevector K = (kx,ky,kz) and where the components of k are quantised as kx=[itex]\pi[/itex]nx/L etc with nx=0,1,2,...

a)Show that the density in the k-space of the single particle states that are available to electrons is given by

[itex]\rho[/itex]=Vk2/[itex]\pi[/itex]2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In my notes I have the derivation of this, however it shows it to be 2[itex]\pi[/itex]2 in the denominator, as do other online sources.

Is there something I'm missing that means in this situation the factor of can be taken out?

(There are further parts to this question that ask to prove certain things that only hold true without the factor of 2 so it's not an error)

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that the allowed states of a particle depend also on the spin of the particle...in quantum mechanics courses you start off with spin-0 particles for simplicity. In the question, they are asking about electrons, which have spin 1/2. How does this change the counting of the number of states in a given region of k-space?

Thank you, multiplying by the the factor (2s+1) where s=1/2 was what I needed.

I thought I had the next parts but I was incorrect.

b)Hence show that the total kinetic energy of a non-relativistic gas of N electrons at T=0 is

E=(V/5[itex]\pi[/itex]2)(2me/[itex]\hbar[/itex]2)3/2EF5/2

c)Furthermore show that Ef is given by

2/2me(3π2N/V)2/3

Therefore,

KF=((3π2N/V)1/3

I am able to prove part C.

I show that N=(L3/3π2)KF2

Rearranging for KF and substituting into the first equation in my first post gives the answer.

However, I'm sure sure how to approach part B, all my attempts so far have the wrong number in front of the first pi and the wrong power above Ef at the end.

Related to Density of States Homework: Show $\rho=Vk^{2}/\pi^{2}$

1. What is the formula for density of states?

The formula for density of states is given by $\rho=Vk^{2}/\pi^{2}$, where V represents the volume of the system and k represents the wave vector.

2. Why is the density of states important in physics?

The density of states is an important concept in physics as it helps to understand the distribution of energy levels in a system. It provides valuable information about the number of states available for particles to occupy and helps to analyze the behavior of particles in a given system.

3. How is the density of states related to the Fermi level?

The Fermi level is the energy level at which the probability of finding an electron is 0.5. The density of states is directly proportional to the Fermi level, meaning that an increase in the density of states will result in a higher Fermi level.

4. Can the density of states be measured experimentally?

Yes, the density of states can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as tunneling spectroscopy, photoemission spectroscopy, and scanning tunneling microscopy. These techniques allow for the measurement of the energy levels and the number of states available for particles in a given system.

5. How does temperature affect the density of states?

Temperature has a significant impact on the density of states as it affects the distribution of energy levels. As the temperature increases, the density of states also increases, resulting in a higher number of available states for particles to occupy. This can lead to changes in the behavior of particles in a system.