Density of Countable Sets in ℝ and its Implications for Continuous Functions

In summary, we are trying to prove that if two continuous functions f and g on ℝ are equal on the complement of a countable subset S, then they are equal on the entire set of ℝ. This can be shown by demonstrating that Sc (the complement of S) is dense in ℝ, which can be proven using the definition of density and the fact that some subsets of ℝ are uncountable.
SMA_01
Let f and g be two continuous functions on ℝ with the usual metric and let S[itex]\subset[/itex]ℝ be countable. Show that if f(x)=g(x) for all x in Sc (the complement of S), then f(x)=g(x) for all x in ℝ.

I'm having trouble understanding how to approach this problem, can anyone give me a hint leading me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
SMA_01 said:
Let f and g be two continuous functions on ℝ with the usual metric and let S[itex]\subset[/itex]ℝ be countable. Show that if f(x)=g(x) for all x in Sc (the complement of S), then f(x)=g(x) for all x in ℝ.

I'm having trouble understanding how to approach this problem, can anyone give me a hint leading me in the right direction?

Thank you.

How about trying to show that Sc is dense in R? That would do it, yes?

Last edited:
Dick said:
How about trying to show that Sc is dense in R? That would do it, yes?

I was told that Sc is dense because S is countable. I'm not sure if that's a theorem, but should I just prove density using the definition or is there a simpler way?

SMA_01 said:
I was told that Sc is dense because S is countable. I'm not sure if that's a theorem, but should I just prove density using the definition or is there a simpler way?

Use the definition. You'll have to add to that what you hopefully know about some subsets of R being uncountable.

Last edited:

Related to Density of Countable Sets in ℝ and its Implications for Continuous Functions

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a mathematical function that maintains its value between any two points in its domain. In simpler terms, this means that there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph of the function.

2. How do you prove a function is continuous?

To prove that a function is continuous, you must show that the limit of the function as x approaches a particular value is equal to the value of the function at that point. This is known as the epsilon-delta definition of continuity.

3. What are common techniques used in continuous function proofs?

Some common techniques used in continuous function proofs include the use of the epsilon-delta definition of continuity, the intermediate value theorem, and the definition of continuity in terms of open sets.

4. What is the role of continuity in calculus?

Continuity is an essential concept in calculus because it allows us to determine the behavior of a function at a particular point, as well as the behavior of the function as a whole. It is also necessary for the existence and applicability of the derivative and integral of a function.

5. Can a function be continuous at a single point?

Yes, a function can be continuous at a single point. This means that the limit of the function as x approaches that point is equal to the value of the function at that point. However, to be considered continuous on an interval, a function must be continuous at every point within that interval.