Density Functional Theory (DFT) textbooks

In summary, there are two recommended textbooks for studying Density Functional Theory: "Density Functional Theory of Atoms and Molecules" by Parr and Yang, and "Density Functional Theory: A Practical Introduction" by David Sholl. While the former is considered a standard for DFT in quantum chemistry, the latter is well-written and offers the option of a superficial or careful study. Both books cover different aspects of DFT, making them valuable resources for students.
August
I'm starting out on DFT right now.
I'm an experimental Physics student, so I'm not very familiar with theories.
Can you recommend any good textbooks or resources that I can utilize for my study??

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Density Functional Theory of Atoms and Molecules by Parr and Yang is one of the standards for DFT as applied to quantum chemistry. I'm less familiar with solid state DFT methods. Some things are easier (choice of basis set) and some things are harder (k space formalism), but many of the basic ideas transfer over.

August said:
Can you recommend any good textbooks or resources that I can utilize for my study??
In my opinion "Density Functional Theory: A Practical Introduction" by David Sholl is a very good and well-written textbook for DFT. In this book you can select either superficial or careful study of DFT and the author gives a very significant guide for the way you want to read the book. Some of the chapters are set in such a way that are not strongly dependent together.

Related to Density Functional Theory (DFT) textbooks

1. What is Density Functional Theory (DFT) and why is it important to study?

Density Functional Theory (DFT) is a computational method used to study the electronic structure of atoms, molecules, and solids. It is important because it allows for accurate predictions of physical properties and can provide insights into the behavior of materials at the atomic level.

2. What are the key concepts and principles of DFT?

The key concepts and principles of DFT include the Hohenberg-Kohn theorems, which state that the ground state energy of a system is uniquely determined by its electron density, and the Kohn-Sham equations, which are used to solve for the electronic structure of a system.

3. Are there any limitations to DFT and how can they be addressed?

One limitation of DFT is that it does not account for dispersion interactions, which can be important in certain systems. This can be addressed by using more advanced DFT methods, such as hybrid functionals or dispersion-corrected functionals.

4. What are some popular DFT textbooks?

Some popular DFT textbooks include "Density Functional Theory: A Practical Introduction" by David Sholl and Janice A. Steckel, "Electronic Structure: Basic Theory and Practical Methods" by Richard M. Martin, and "Modern Density Functional Theory: A Tool For Chemistry" by Jorge M. Seminario.

5. How can I apply DFT in my research or work?

DFT can be applied in various fields such as chemistry, physics, materials science, and engineering. It can be used to investigate the properties and behavior of molecules and materials, design new compounds, and understand experimental results. There are also many software packages available that allow for the application of DFT calculations.