Democratic Debate November 15, 2007: CNN* in Las Vegas, NV

• News
  • Thread starter kach22i
  • Start date
In summary: CNN's Democratic Debate on November 15, 2007 featured a head-to-head bash between Hillary and Obama, with some of the lesser known candidates also making noteworthy comments. The debate covered topics such as national security, human rights, and the Iraq war. Dennis Kucinich received cheers for calling for the impeachment of Bush and Cheney, and the audience showed disapproval when candidates sniped at each other. Polls were discussed, but it was noted that polls do not determine the outcome of an election. The media's portrayal of the race was criticized for being biased and unfair. It was also revealed that six of CNN's "undecided voters" were actually Democratic Party operatives.
kach22i
I keep missing these debates and just catching bits and pieces. Tonight I plan to catch all of it. Just one more debate after this one.

Democratic Debate November 15, 2007: CNN* in Las Vegas, NV
http://www.democrats.org/a/2007/05/dnc_announces_d_2.php

DNC SANCTIONED DEBATES:

July 23, 2007: YouTube/Google and CNN* in Charleston, SC

August 19, 2007: ABC in Des Moines, IA

September 26, 2007: NBC News/MSNBC** in Hanover, NH

October 30, 2007: NBC News/MSNBC** in Philadelphia, PA

November 15, 2007: CNN* in Las Vegas, NV

December 10, 2007: CBS in Los Angeles, CA

http://www.democrats.org/a/2006/08/highlights_of_t.php
The new schedule is as follows:

* Iowa holds the first-in-the-nation caucus on January 14.
* New Hampshire holds the first-in-the-nation primary on January 22.
* Nevada conducts a caucus between Iowa and New Hampshire on Saturday, January 19.
* South Carolina holds a primary 1 week after the New Hampshire primary on Tuesday, January 29

The regular window will open for all other states on the first Tuesday in February -- February 5, 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FYI: Its on at 8 p.m. Eastern time.

In other news:

November 15, 2007
Richardson nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/
WASHINGTON (CNN) — Democratic presidential candidate Bill Richardson has something new to tout at Thursday night's Democratic presidential debate — a fifth Nobel Peace Prize nomination........The official nomination was co-signed by 13 members of Congress, including one Republican — Rep. Jim Ramstad of Minnesota.

I wonder what questions will be asked. Will Hillary be asked about her health care program? Will they be asked about how they intend to deal with global warming? Will anyone ask about planted questions or staged interviews? Will they be asked about penalizing Pakistan for Musharraf's crackdown?

Las Vegas is the fastest growing city in the US and has the most immigrants (legal or otherwise). Will Blitzer ask Hillary about her immigration policy?

Should be a nail-biter.

I watched it, the first ten minutes was a head to head bash of Hillary verses Obama. Exciting but not what the Dem's really need, like hanging dirty laundry.

I don't think everyone got equal screen time, some of the lesser knowns were actually saying something of note.

My man Richardson did okay, but Wolf's way of turning around what he said made me a little angy as it was not fair.

Richardson was right in saying that supporting dictators and brutal regimes in the name of national security has only backfired on us. One needs only to look at the former Shah of Iran or our relationship with Turkey to figure this one out.

We will be a more secure nation if we put human rights and democracy first over short-sighted goals masked under the guise of national security.

Wolf Blitzer is an a$$ the way he twisted it.

Remember, Ronald Reagan supported Saddam Hussein and so did papa Bush

http://www.counterpunch.org/dixon06172004.html
On October 2, 1989, US President George Bush senior signed the top-secret National Security Decision 26, which declared: "Normal relations between the US and Iraq would serve our long-term interests and promote stability in both the Gulf and the Middle East. The US should propose economic and political incentives for Iraq to moderate its behaviour and increase our influence with Iraq... We should pursue, and seek to facilitate, opportunities for US firms to participate in the reconstruction of the Iraqi economy."

My favorite moment was when Edwards said that he would appoint supreme court justices that make rulings of the type that would require them to use bodyguards!

Kucinich could do four times better if he just changed his name to 'No Opinion'.

Evo said:
What is interesting is that no mater what the question the responses are the same. Given the length of the survey I'm sure I'd just keep saying the same name over and over just to speed things up too.

Clinton, clear on issues and honest?

Like when?

That poll was released late in the day, one day before the debate, I wonder if anyone in Nevada has changed their mind now?

Last edited:
There were two moments that caught my attention: One was the huge cheer when Kucinich called for Bush and Cheney to be impeached. The other was when the candidate's heads snapped up to the cheer that followed Kucinich's call to end NAFTA.

Ivan Seeking said:
Kucinich

When Wolfie said, "now that we have heard from all the candidates on that question, we will move on to the next one" .....Dennis reminded Wolfie that he had passed him up. Instead of dwelling on it Denny answered the lost question and answered the second question in a short and concise manner.

Where Dennis messed up was touting over and over again that he was the only one with a voting record against the war and a few other things. Richardson corrected him, and I'm sure was not please with Dennis quipping remarks whiles others were speaking.

All in all, past the first ten minutes everyone was pretty well behaved.

When Obama and Edwards sniped Hillary the crowd showed their disapproval of such things. Richardson came quite close to getting the same treatment for even mentioning others even when not really bashing them.

I thought Hillary was full of herself when she said the others are attacking her because she is ahead. Ahead in the polls means nothing, just ask Howard Dean about that.

Polls don't vote, people do.

The media tries to make this whole situation out to be Hillary all out in front by herself. Then when things might be boring they say Obama is on her heels. Then they dust off Edwards and call it a three way heat, leaving Richardson out of it. The media sucks, I hate the way this game is played on us.

I wish they'd ask Biden more questions. That guy's hilarious!

check said:
I wish they'd ask Biden more questions. That guy's hilarious!

Yes.

"[URL six of CNN's "undecided voters" were Democratic operatives
[/url]

UPDATES BELOW - CNN hits bottom and digs: All six debate questioners appear to be Democratic Party operatives. So much for "ordinary people, undecided voters". To paraphrase Junior Soprano, CNN is so far up the DNC's hind end, Howard Dean can taste hair gel.

In a nutshell, CNN's six "undecided voters" were:

A Democratic Party bigwig
An antiwar activist
A Union official
An Islamic leader
A Harry Reid staffer
A radical Chicano separatist

Wow. This looks "rather" like a scandal.

I guess CNN and the DNC took a page from the FEMA book of news conference strategies...

Plant #4: Maria Luisa -- the UNLV student who asked Hillary Clinton whether she preferred "diamonds or pearls" -- wrote that CNN forced her to ask the "frilly" question instead of a pre-approved query regarding the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste facility.

Update: Andy writes to point out the eerie similarities between Maria L. Parra-Sandoval and "Maria Luisa." Regarding Ms. Parra-Sandoval, the UNLV website states:

This spring she will serve as the political communications intern for Senator Harry Reid in Washington, D.C. Currently a junior at UNLV, Maria is...

Related to Democratic Debate November 15, 2007: CNN* in Las Vegas, NV

1. What topics were discussed during the Democratic Debate on November 15, 2007?

The topics discussed during the Democratic Debate on November 15, 2007 included the Iraq War, healthcare, immigration, climate change, and the economy.

2. Who were the candidates participating in the Democratic Debate on November 15, 2007?

The candidates participating in the Democratic Debate on November 15, 2007 were Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, John Edwards, Bill Richardson, Dennis Kucinich, Joe Biden, and Chris Dodd.

3. Where was the Democratic Debate on November 15, 2007 held?

The Democratic Debate on November 15, 2007 was held at the Cox Pavilion on the campus of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

4. How long did the Democratic Debate on November 15, 2007 last?

The Democratic Debate on November 15, 2007 lasted for two hours, from 8pm to 10pm EST.

5. How did the candidates perform in the Democratic Debate on November 15, 2007?

The candidates were praised for their strong performances during the Democratic Debate on November 15, 2007. Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and John Edwards were seen as the front-runners, while Bill Richardson and Joe Biden also received positive reviews. Dennis Kucinich and Chris Dodd were seen as having weaker performances.