Delta/metric question (context commutator poincare transf.)

In summary: Just differentiate ##f(x)=f(x_1,\ldots,x_4)##.The Attempt at a Solution [/B]sol attached: because partial derivatives commute four of the terms cancel and I agree with the solution to get the remaining two terms the same, however, I have a delta in place where the solution has a metric so instead I would get(using (2)):##g_{av}\delta^a_u \frac{\partial}{\partial x^p}-g_{ap}\delta^a_u\frac{\partial}{\partial x^v} ##
binbagsss

Homework Statement

qq2.jpg

Homework Equations

[/B]
I believe that ##\frac{\partial x^u}{\partial x^p} =\delta ^u_p ## (1)

##\implies ## (if ##\delta^a_b ## is a tensor, I'm not sure it is?) : ##\frac{\partial x_u}{\partial x^p} = g_{au} \delta ^a_p ## (2)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
sol attached:
solq2.jpg

because partial derivatives commute four of the terms cancel and I agree with the solution to get the remaining two terms the same, however, I have a delta in place where the solution has a metric so instead I would get(using (2)):

##g_{av}\delta^a_u \frac{\partial}{\partial x^p}-g_{ap}\delta^a_u\frac{\partial}{\partial x^v} ##

Many thanks for your help.

Attachments

• solq2.jpg
    solq2.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 782
  • qq2.jpg
    qq2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 825
Physics news on Phys.org
The picture already contains the answer. What do you need a metric for in a vector space? It's Euclidean flat, you operate in a tangent space.

fresh_42 said:
The picture already contains the answer. What do you need a metric for in a vector space? It's Euclidean flat, you operate in a tangent space.
sorry, I don't understand your comment.

I believe we have that ##g^u_v=\delta^u_v ## from that ##g_{uv}g^{uv}=1 ##, however this is with one index raised and one lowered whereas the question above has both low, so i don't get how the delta has been replaced with the metric

binbagsss said:
sorry, I don't understand your comment.

I believe we have that ##g^u_v=\delta^u_v ## from that ##g_{uv}g^{uv}=1 ##, however this is with one index raised and one lowered whereas the question above has both low, so i don't get how the delta has been replaced with the metric
What do you care about the metric? You have the differential operators explicitly given, so you can apply them on a suitable function and calculate the commutators. There is no need for ##g\; . \;\frac{\partial x_\mu}{\partial x_\nu}= \delta_{\mu \nu}\,.## It's an ONS.

fresh_42 said:
What do you care about the metric? You have the differential operators explicitly given, so you can apply them on a suitable function and calculate the commutators. There is no need for ##g\; . \;\frac{\partial x_\mu}{\partial x_\nu}= \delta_{\mu \nu}\,.## It's an ONS.
one night stand? what is ONS?

i don't care about the metric? the answer has the metric whereas i have deltas

Which answer do you mean? I don't know how the ##\eta## are defined and on Wikipedia it seems, that they use ##M_{\mu \nu}=-J_{\mu \nu}## but that's it. I read the ##\eta## as ##\eta_{\mu \nu} = \delta_{\mu \nu}\,.##

A simple calculation will tell. Of course you can assume any basis, but why to complicate things? It's all about the product rule in the end.

fresh_42 said:
Which answer do you mean?[ /QUOTE] 'sol attached'

Question answered:
fresh_42 said:
The picture already contains the answer.
Just differentiate ##f(x)=f(x_1,\ldots,x_4)##.

binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 227265

Homework Equations

[/B]
I believe that ##\frac{\partial x^u}{\partial x^p} =\delta ^u_p ## (1)

##\implies ## (if ##\delta^a_b ## is a tensor, I'm not sure it is?) : ##\frac{\partial x_u}{\partial x^p} = g_{au} \delta ^a_p ## (2)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
sol attached:View attachment 227264

because partial derivatives commute four of the terms cancel and I agree with the solution to get the remaining two terms the same, however, I have a delta in place where the solution has a metric so instead I would get(using (2)):

##g_{av}\delta^a_u \frac{\partial}{\partial x^p}-g_{ap}\delta^a_u\frac{\partial}{\partial x^v} ##

Many thanks for your help.

Be careful, we get a delta if we differentiate, say, ##x^\mu## with respect to ##x^\nu##, i.e the indices must both be upstairs (and we get a delta if they are both downstairs). However, here is what to do when they are not both up or down. For example consider## \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} x_\nu = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} \eta_{\nu \alpha} x^\alpha = \eta_{\nu \alpha} \delta_\mu^\alpha = \eta_{\nu \mu} ##

In the end the reason is that the zeroth component ##x_0## has opposite sign from ##x^0## (well, assuming the mostly plus metric, in the other case it is the three others that differ in sign).

Likes binbagsss

Related to Delta/metric question (context commutator poincare transf.)

1. What is the Delta function in mathematics?

The Delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical concept used to represent an infinitely narrow pulse or spike at a specific point in space or time. It is often used in physics and engineering to describe phenomena with very concentrated effects.

2. How is the Delta function related to the metric tensor?

In differential geometry and general relativity, the metric tensor is a mathematical construct used to describe the curvature of spacetime. The Delta function can be used to define the curvature at a specific point in spacetime, as it represents a point-like singularity in the metric tensor.

3. What is the significance of the Delta function in commutator algebra?

The Delta function is used in commutator algebra to represent the identity element, or the unit element, in a Lie algebra. This is important in understanding the structure and properties of these algebraic systems.

4. How does the Delta function relate to Poincare symmetry?

Poincare symmetry refers to the invariance of physical laws under translations, rotations, and Lorentz transformations. The Delta function is used to define these transformations, as it represents an infinitesimal change at a specific point in spacetime.

5. What is the role of the Delta function in Poincare transformations?

In Poincare transformations, the Delta function is used to represent the translation part of the transformation, as it represents a point-like displacement in spacetime. It is also used in the definition of the Lorentz boost transformation, which involves the metric tensor and the commutator algebra.