Delaying a signal 180 or 90 degrees

In summary, the best way to delay a sinusodial signal (voltage) 90 or 180 degrees is to use a filter, such as a low-pass RC filter, which can cause a change in phase and amplitude. This can be achieved by connecting multiple RC sections in series. However, for a more precise and wide-band solution, an all-pass filter may be necessary, although it requires more complex and precise components.
Rectifier
Gold Member
Hey!
How can I delay a sinusodial signal (voltage) 90 or 180 degrees?

I have been thinking of a capacitor or an inductor in parallel with the voltage source but these components do not impact the phaseshift of the voltage but the current.

Can anyone help me please?

EDIT:
I know that there are other solutions to simple sinusodial signals like just inverting the signal but I am searching for a more complex solution.Sorry for my bad English.

Physics news on Phys.org
The digital answer: Run the signal through an A/D converter, determine the period, do a digital delay, run it through a D/A converter.

Rectifier said:
How can I delay a sinusodial signal (voltage) 90 or 180 degrees?

I have been thinking of a capacitor or an inductor in parallel with the voltage source but these components do not impact the phaseshift of the voltage but the current.

Can anyone help me please?

EDIT:
I know that there are other solutions to simple sinusodial signals like just inverting the signal but I am searching for a more complex solution.

That is correct: adding a capacitive load to a voltage source cannot affect the amplitude or phase of that source, with an ideal source.

Filters are circuits which cause their output to be changed in both phase and amplitude, relative to their input. You could connect in series a few low-pass RC filter sections to get a combined delay of up to 180° at a given frequency. As a rule of thumb, work on 45° lag for each RC section. A consequence of this form of passive filter is that it attenuates the amplitude at the same time as providing a delay. Of course, different frequencies will undergo different delays, with any given circuit.

There are filters which deliver a phase shift with almost no change in amplitude over a wide band; these can get complicated and to perform the feat demand precision components.

NascentOxygen said:
There are filters which deliver a phase shift with almost no change in amplitude over a wide band; these can get complicated and to perform the feat demand precision components.
For example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-pass_filter.

Related to Delaying a signal 180 or 90 degrees

1. What does it mean to delay a signal by 180 or 90 degrees?

Delaying a signal by 180 or 90 degrees refers to shifting the signal's phase by that amount of degrees. This means that the signal's peaks and troughs will occur at a different point in time compared to the original signal.

2. Why would someone want to delay a signal by 180 or 90 degrees?

One reason for delaying a signal by 180 or 90 degrees is to align it with another signal. This can be useful in various applications such as audio processing, telecommunications, and control systems.

3. How is a signal delayed by 180 or 90 degrees?

A signal can be delayed by 180 or 90 degrees using electronic components such as capacitors, inductors, and delay lines. These components introduce a phase shift to the signal, effectively delaying it.

4. What are the effects of delaying a signal by 180 or 90 degrees?

The main effect of delaying a signal by 180 or 90 degrees is a change in its phase. This can result in a delay or advance in the signal's peaks and troughs, as well as a change in its frequency response.

5. Can a signal be delayed by any other amount of degrees?

Yes, a signal can be delayed by any amount of degrees. The amount of delay is determined by the specific components and their values used in the circuit. However, 180 and 90 degrees are commonly used as they correspond to simple and easy to implement phase shifts.