Delay of JWST a Major Setback for Astronomy

In summary: I'm very unhappy with this. JWST was supposed to explain why HST would be retired. Apparently, that was just smoke and mirrors.
Vast
http://www.space.com/spacenews/businessmonday_051121.html"

A $1 billion dollar cost growth on the mission is a lot, but considering the value and continuing contributions of Hubble to this very day, I think we can all agree that the JWST is a priority mission for NASA’s universe division.

Would Bush’s New Vision for Space Exploration by any chance be a contributing cause behind this?

At least they’re not cutting costs by reducing the size of the mirror!

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Vast said:
I think we can all agree that the JWST is a priority mission for NASA’s universe division.
Maybe JWST is not a priority, considering that the ESA will launch the Herschel (infrared telescope to be located at L2, same as JWST) already in 2007.

hellfire said:
Maybe JWST is not a priority, considering that the ESA will launch the Herschel (infrared telescope to be located at L2, same as JWST) already in 2007.
I noticed that Herschel is about half the weight of the JWST at 6,200 kg, opposed to 3300 kg for Herschel which is being launched simultaneously with Planck, this might further reduce the cost of both those missions, which I think are also part of NASA’s universe division. Anyway, these are also two very important missions, and hopefully if all goes to plan and remains on schedule for a July 2007 launch, will have great scientific returns.

Sorry, not part of NASA, http://science.hq.nasa.gov/missions/universe.html"

http://www.stsci.edu/jwst/project_highlights/SAT_report_interim.pdf"

http://www.stsci.edu/jwst/project_highlights/SAT_report_final.pdf"

The SAT was created in June 2005 by NASA to provide an independent analysis of the scientific goals of the JWST mission.

JWST is identified in the National Academy’s Astronomy and Astrophysics in the New Millennium as the top priority among all major initiatives.

NASA’s Strategic Roadmaps Universe Exploration and Search for Habitable Planets confirm its importance in their long-term plans for space science.

I'm very unhappy with this. JWST was supposed to explain why HST would be retired. Apparently, that was just smoke and mirrors.

Chronos said:
I'm very unhappy with this. JWST was supposed to explain why HST would be retired. Apparently, that was just smoke and mirrors.

A servicing mission to Hubble is expected to take place late 2007 early 2008, that’s if the Shuttle Program gets back on its feat. The cost of this mission is another reason for retiring Hubble. As the JWST has an expected lifetime of 10 years, from the negative reaction of retiring Hubble, it might be wise to anticipate a similar situation with the end of JWST mission. But I have no doubt that the JWST is a much needed scope for space, unfortunately it’s L2 position, 1.5 million km from Earth, doesn’t give it the luxury of any servicing missions? Perhaps 15 years down the road we’ll be able to send a robotic servicing mission?

Chronos said:

JWST really isn't a replacement for Hubble, since the latter had UV capabilities and the former is working mostly in the IR. The lack of a good satellite for observing in the UV is going to be a big problem for many astronomers...

Related to Delay of JWST a Major Setback for Astronomy

1. What is the JWST and why is its delay a major setback for astronomy?

The JWST, or James Webb Space Telescope, is a powerful space telescope that was designed to succeed the Hubble Space Telescope. Its delay is a major setback for astronomy because it was expected to revolutionize our understanding of the universe with its advanced technology and capabilities.

2. Why was the JWST's launch delayed?

The JWST's launch has been delayed multiple times due to a variety of technical and budgetary issues. Some of the major delays were caused by the complexity of the telescope's design, leading to unexpected challenges and delays in testing and assembly. Additionally, funding issues and budget constraints have also contributed to the delays.

3. How long has the JWST's launch been delayed?

The JWST's launch has been delayed for over a decade. It was originally planned to launch in 2007, but has since been pushed back multiple times. The most recent target launch date is set for October 2021.

4. What impact will the delay of the JWST have on the scientific community?

The delay of the JWST will have a significant impact on the scientific community, as many researchers and astronomers were eagerly awaiting its launch to conduct groundbreaking observations and studies. The delay has caused a disruption in their research plans and may also result in missed opportunities for new discoveries.

5. Is there a silver lining to the delay of the JWST?

While the delay of the JWST is certainly a setback for astronomy, there is also a silver lining. The extra time has allowed for further testing and improvements to be made, which could ultimately result in a more successful and reliable telescope. Additionally, the delay has also given scientists more time to prepare and plan for the data and observations that will be collected by the JWST once it is finally launched.