Kerry's vision for the space program

In summary: It seems like Kerry may prioritize NASA's near-Earth missions and telescopes, but possibly scale back on robotic explorations of other planets, asteroids, and comets. In summary, it seems that Kerry's vision for NASA would involve dropping Bush's space plan and being generally supportive of the agency, but potentially cutting its funding and focusing on specific missions. However, there is no information on his campaign website about his specific space policy. Let's keep the discussion focused on understanding his potential policies, rather than turning it into a political debate.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I suppose this topic could go into the Politics forum, but I think the interested members are mostly here.

So, what will Kerry's vision be? Here's a clue from Space.com...
http://www.space.com/news/kerry_report_040616.html

Reading between the lines, I get the impression that Kerry would (1) drop Bush's space plan and (2) be generally supportive of NASA but still cut its funding. I also suspect that he would focus on NASA's near-Earth missions (shuttle, ISS, satellites) & telescopes (Hubble, NGSTs) but would scale back things like robotic explorations of the planets/asteroids/comets. I'm also basing this on a response letter I received from him a few years ago when I wrote a request letter to save the mission to Pluto. Basically, it was a well-reasoned, but disappointing response saying that the mission was not worth the cost at that time. Maybe I can dig up that letter from my files & post it here.

I didn't find anything about his space policy on his campaign website.

Any other insights?

Note: Let's try to keep this away from a political debate. I merely want to understand what his space policy would be if he were elected president.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
That's a great question! I'm interested to see if anyone else has any insights about Kerry's space policy. It's good to hear that you received a response from him in the past, I would be interested to see the letter if you can find it. Hopefully someone else can provide some more information on the subject.

Related to Kerry's vision for the space program

1. What is Kerry's overall vision for the space program?

Kerry's vision for the space program is to prioritize and invest in scientific research and exploration, while also promoting international cooperation and peaceful uses of space. He believes in setting ambitious goals for space exploration and utilizing cutting-edge technology to advance our understanding of the universe.

2. How does Kerry plan to fund and support the space program?

Kerry plans to increase funding for NASA and the space program, while also seeking partnerships with private companies and international organizations. He also aims to redirect funds from military and defense spending towards space exploration and technology development.

3. Will Kerry prioritize human spaceflight or robotic exploration?

Kerry believes in a balanced approach to space exploration, utilizing both human spaceflight and robotic missions to further our understanding of the universe. He recognizes the importance of human spaceflight for inspiring future generations and promoting scientific advancements, while also acknowledging the cost-effectiveness and capabilities of robotic missions.

4. How will Kerry address climate change and environmental concerns in regards to the space program?

Kerry plans to incorporate environmental considerations into the development and operation of space technologies. He also aims to utilize space-based technology to monitor and address climate change, such as satellite imaging and data collection.

5. What role does international cooperation play in Kerry's vision for the space program?

Kerry believes that international cooperation is crucial for the success of the space program. He plans to work closely with other countries and international organizations to share resources, knowledge, and technology in order to advance space exploration and scientific research. He also aims to promote peaceful and collaborative efforts in space, rather than a competitive or militarized approach.