Degeneracy of rotationally invariant potentials

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of degeneracy in quantum mechanics, specifically in the context of an infinite cubical well and a spherically symmetrical potential. The speaker questions the idea of being able to excite only one direction of movement in the cubical well and wonders where the degeneracy in the spherically symmetrical potential comes from. The expert notes that in general, the energy in a spherically symmetric potential can also depend on angular quantum numbers, but gives examples of special cases where it depends only on the radial quantum number. The expert also suggests trying an example, such as a spherical well.
syang9
I can appreciate the degeneracy of an infinite cubical well, in which there are three different directions, and hence three different separation constants from Schrodinger's equation which determine three separate n's (for lack of a better word.. principal quantum numbers, i suppose. it really bothers me that you can excite only one direction of movement.. wouldn't this imply that energy is not a scalar?) But what about for spherically symmetrical potentials, in which the only direction of movement which has an effect on the energy is radial movement? I mean, I know that three dimensions means there will definitely be degeneracy, but where does this come from? How can we only excite one 'dimension' of movement? Can I draw any parallels between the cubical well and the spherical well?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by, "excite only one direction of movement". I don't understand.

Also, note that in general, the energy in a spherically symmetric potential V(r) can depend on the angular quantum numbers l and m. Only for the special cases when the potential is of the form 1/r or r^2, does the energy depend exclusively on the radial quantum number n.

Last edited:
Try an example -- say a spherical well.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Related to Degeneracy of rotationally invariant potentials

1. What is degeneracy in the context of rotationally invariant potentials?

Degeneracy refers to the phenomenon where multiple states of a system have the same energy level in a rotationally invariant potential. This means that the system can exist in different states with the same energy, making it impossible to distinguish between them based on energy alone.

2. How does degeneracy affect the behavior of a system?

Degeneracy can lead to more complex and diverse behavior of a system. It allows for different states of the system to have equal probability of being occupied, making the system more dynamic and unpredictable.

3. Why do rotationally invariant potentials often exhibit degeneracy?

Rotationally invariant potentials have the same energy for all orientations, making it possible for different states with different orientations to have the same energy level. This leads to degeneracy in the system.

4. Can degeneracy be broken in rotationally invariant potentials?

While it is possible to break degeneracy in rotationally invariant potentials, it requires the introduction of an external force or perturbation that breaks the rotational symmetry of the potential. This can be seen in systems such as atoms where an external magnetic field can break the degeneracy of energy levels.

5. How is degeneracy related to symmetry in rotationally invariant potentials?

Degeneracy is closely related to symmetry in rotationally invariant potentials. The presence of rotational symmetry allows for multiple states of a system to have the same energy, leading to degeneracy. Breaking this symmetry can break the degeneracy and result in different energies for different states of the system.