Deformation of axially loaded bar

• Thread starter vanquish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Deformation
In summary, the task was to determine the extension of a conical bar made of aluminum alloy due to its own weight. Using the equation for extension, the only force acting on the cone was found to be its weight, which is equal to the product of its density and area. Since the radius of the cone changes, the area also changes and can be found using similar triangles. After plugging in the values and integrating, the correct answer was found to be 9.06*10-5 inches.
vanquish

Homework Statement

Determine the extension, due to its own weight, of the conical bar show in Fig 5.13. The bar is made of aluminum alloy [E=10,600ksi] and [tex]\gamma[/tex]=.100 lb/in3
The bar has a 2in radius at its upper end and a length of L=20ft assume the taper of the bar is slight enough for the assumption of a uniform axial stress distribution over a cross section to be valid.

So its basically an cone hanging off the ceiling and I need to the extension of it.

Homework Equations

[tex]\delta[/tex]=[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{Fdy}{AE}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the only force acting on the cone is its own weight:
F=weight=[tex]\gamma[/tex]*A
because the density times the area

Since the it's a cone, the radius changes and therefor so does the area
Area=[tex]\pi[/tex]*r2
To find r, I used the similar triangles which gave me:
2/10=r/y => r=y/10
so: Area=[tex]\pi[/tex]*(y/10)2

So when I plug it all in I get:
[tex]\delta[/tex]=[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{ \gamma Aydy}{AE}[/tex]

And the area's cancel out. I continued the problem even though I'm quite sure that the area's should not cancel out. I ended up with:

[tex]\delta[/tex]=[tex]\frac{ \gamma y^2}{2E}[/tex]

Upon plugging in the numbers i got an answer of: 2.7*10-4inches
When the correct answer (according to the book) is: 9.06*10-5

EDIT: I figured out what I did wrong, silly mistake

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
on my part. The Area's do not cancel out. I should have kept the A in the denominator and gotten: \delta=\frac{ \gamma y^2}{2EA}Which gave me the correct answer.

. I used the wrong density, I used the density of water instead of the given density of the aluminum alloy. The correct answer using the given density would be 9.06*10-5 inches.

Related to Deformation of axially loaded bar

1. What is the definition of deformation in an axially loaded bar?

Deformation refers to the change in shape or size of a material due to the application of an external force. In an axially loaded bar, deformation occurs when the bar is subjected to a force along its length, resulting in a change in its length and/or cross-sectional area.

2. How is deformation measured in an axially loaded bar?

Deformation in an axially loaded bar is typically measured using strain, which is the ratio of the change in length to the original length of the bar. This can be expressed as a percentage or as a decimal value. Another measure of deformation is the change in cross-sectional area, which is typically expressed as a percentage.

3. What factors affect the deformation of an axially loaded bar?

The deformation of an axially loaded bar is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the material properties of the bar (such as its Young's modulus and yield strength), and the length and cross-sectional area of the bar.

4. How does deformation in an axially loaded bar affect its stress and strain?

Deformation in an axially loaded bar results in an increase in stress and strain. As the bar is subjected to a force, the stress within the bar increases, causing it to elongate and decrease in cross-sectional area. This results in an increase in strain, which is the measure of the deformation of the bar.

5. What is the relationship between applied force and deformation in an axially loaded bar?

The relationship between applied force and deformation in an axially loaded bar is directly proportional, as stated by Hooke's Law. This means that as the applied force increases, the deformation of the bar also increases proportionally. However, this relationship is only valid within the elastic limit of the material, beyond which the bar may experience permanent deformation or failure.