Definitite integrals involving sin and cos.

In summary, The conversation discusses how to solve integrals of the form \int^{\pi}_{0}\frac{1}{1+sin\theta}d\theta and \int^{\pi}_{-\pi}\frac{1}{1+sin\theta}d\theta using the substitution $\overbar{\theta}=\theta-\pi$ and the variable transformation z=e^{i\theta}, as well as the application of the residue theorem for evaluating integrals over a semi-circular contour. It is also noted that the contour must be closed in order for the residue theorem to be applied.
tuite
Hi!
I have learned how to solve equations like:
[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\frac{1}{1+sin\theta}d\theta[/tex]

using

[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}F(sin\theta,cos\theta) d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int_{C}F(\frac{z-z^{-1}}{2i},\frac{z+z^{-1}}{2}) \frac{dz}{iz}[/tex]

How do I solve equations of the type:
[tex]\int^{\pi}_{0}\frac{1}{1+sin\theta}d\theta[/tex]
and
[tex]\int^{\pi}_{-\pi}\frac{1}{1+sin\theta}d\theta[/tex]

Please help :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
tuite said:
How do I solve equations of the type:
[tex]\int^{\pi}_{0}\frac{1}{1+sin\theta}d\theta[/tex]
and
[tex]\int^{\pi}_{-\pi}\frac{1}{1+sin\theta}d\theta[/tex]

Please help :-)

The second one is reallly the exact same type as the one you know how to solve. To see this, just make the substitution [tex]\overbar{\theta}=\theta-\pi[/itex]

As for the first one, draw a picture...Using [itex]z=e^{i\theta}[/itex], you should see that when you integrate from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex] you are integrating over the semi-circular arc in the upper half plane instead of integrating over the entire unit circle. So, the result is that only residues of the poles that lie inside the unit circle and are in the upper half-plane will contribute to the result.

gabbagabbahey said:
The second one is reallly the exact same type as the one you know how to solve. To see this, just make the substitution [tex]\overbar{\theta}=\theta-\pi[/itex]

As for the first one, draw a picture...Using [itex]z=e^{i\theta}[/itex], you should see that when you integrate from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex] you are integrating over the semi-circular arc in the upper half plane instead of integrating over the entire unit circle. So, the result is that only residues of the poles that lie inside the unit circle and are in the upper half-plane will contribute to the result.

Ah! Great! The substitution explained for me! Thanks!

Right now I'm struggling with:
[tex]\int^{\pi}_{-\pi}\frac{1}{1+sin^{2}{\theta}}d\theta[/tex]

when rewritten:

[tex]\int_{C}\frac{1}{1+(\frac{z-z^{-1}}{2i})^2}\frac{dz}{iz} [/tex]
[tex]\int_{C}\frac{4}{4-(z^2-2+\frac{1}{z^2})}\frac{dz}{iz} [/tex]

which I get to

[tex]\int_{C}\frac{4}{(6z-z^3-\frac{1}{z})i}dz[/tex]

and then I'm stuck.
Any hints?

Multiply both the numerator and denominator by [itex]iz[/itex] and then factor the resulting denominator (use the quadratic equation)

The semi-contour is not a closed contour. That has to be fixed first before you can aply the residue theorem.

tuite said:
Hi!
I have learned how to solve equations like:
[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}\frac{1}{1+sin\theta}d\theta[/tex]

using

[tex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}F(sin\theta,cos\theta) d\theta[/tex]
A small point: You aren't "solving equations." You are evaluating definite integrals. An equation has an = in it.

Related to Definitite integrals involving sin and cos.

1. What is a definite integral involving sin and cos?

A definite integral involving sin and cos is a mathematical operation used to find the exact area under a curve that is defined by a combination of sine and cosine functions. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has a lower and upper limit of integration.

2. How do you solve a definite integral involving sin and cos?

To solve a definite integral involving sin and cos, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the definite integral of a function can be calculated by finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration. In the case of sin and cos, this would involve using trigonometric identities and substitution to simplify the integral.

3. What is the difference between a definite integral involving sin and cos and a regular definite integral?

The main difference between a definite integral involving sin and cos and a regular definite integral is that the integrand (the function inside the integral) contains trigonometric functions instead of regular algebraic functions. This often requires the use of trigonometric identities and techniques specific to solving integrals with trigonometric functions.

4. Why are definite integrals involving sin and cos important?

Definite integrals involving sin and cos are important in many areas of science and engineering. They can be used to find the area under a curve, which has applications in calculating volumes, center of mass, and work done by a force. They are also used in physics, particularly in studying waves and oscillations.

5. What are some real-life applications of definite integrals involving sin and cos?

Some real-life applications of definite integrals involving sin and cos include calculating the power output of an alternating current circuit, finding the displacement of a pendulum, and determining the frequency and amplitude of a sound wave. They are also used in calculating the trajectory of a projectile and predicting the behavior of a damped harmonic oscillator.