Definition of bi-local measurement by Masanes et al.

In summary, the paper Masanes, Galley, and Müller discusses the concept of a bi-local measurement, which involves two systems and outcome probability functions for measurements on each system. This can be represented by a product of the two measurements. However, the possibility of entanglement between the two systems is not explicitly addressed, leading to confusion for the reader. It is suggested that the bi-local measurement may only apply to unentangled states, and that further clarification is needed. It is also mentioned that the correct result for entangled states can be derived from the assumptions made in the paper.
Sonderval
Dear experts,
I'm currently working my way through the paper Masanes, Galley, Müller, https://arxiv.org/abs/1811.11060.
On page 3, they define what they call a bi-local measurement: If we have two systems a and b and we define an outcome probability function for some measurement f on system a and g on system b, the pair of measurements can be represented by a product
$$ (f \ast g) (\psi \otimes \phi) = f(\psi) g(\phi)$$
I find this very confusing because it seems to me to deny the possibility of entanglement: If the two states ##\psi## and ##\phi## are entangled (for example, two electrons entangled so that their spin is always the same), I think this statement does not hold anymore. (Probability for first electron to measure up could be 0.5, probability for second to measure down could also be 0.5, but combined probability would be zero.)
Probably I'm mis-interpreting something in the paper, but I have no idea where my mistake lies.
Any help is appreciated.

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Would it make sense if a bi-local measurement is defined on unentangled (product) states, and that condition with the other postulates is sufficient to determine how a bi-local measurement behaves for entangled states?

Thus (?) to apply the bi-local measurement to an entangled state, one would write the entangled state as a sum of product states, then apply the definition to each product state.

Edit: If you look at Eq (16), it looks like the correct result for entangled states can be derived from their assumptions.

Last edited:
Likes Sonderval
@atyy
Thanks. Yes, I suspect you're right and that this is what is more or less implied by the qualifier "local OPF", but at least to me it is not very clearly stated.

Related to Definition of bi-local measurement by Masanes et al.

1. What is the definition of bi-local measurement proposed by Masanes et al.?

The definition of bi-local measurement by Masanes et al. is a method of measuring the properties of a quantum system that involves two separate measurements performed on two different parts of the system. This allows for the measurement of non-local properties of the system, such as entanglement, without actually measuring the system as a whole.

2. How does bi-local measurement differ from traditional quantum measurement?

In traditional quantum measurement, a single measurement is performed on the entire system, resulting in a single outcome. In bi-local measurement, two separate measurements are performed on different parts of the system, allowing for the measurement of non-local properties that cannot be measured with a single measurement.

3. What is the significance of bi-local measurement in quantum mechanics?

Bi-local measurement allows for the measurement of non-local properties of a quantum system, which is important for understanding and studying quantum entanglement. It also has implications for quantum information processing and quantum communication.

4. How does the bi-local measurement proposed by Masanes et al. contribute to the field of quantum mechanics?

The bi-local measurement proposed by Masanes et al. provides a new method for measuring non-local properties of quantum systems, which was previously not possible with traditional measurement techniques. This can lead to a better understanding of quantum mechanics and its applications.

5. Are there any limitations to the bi-local measurement proposed by Masanes et al.?

One limitation of the bi-local measurement proposed by Masanes et al. is that it requires a high level of control and precision in the measurement process. In addition, it may not be applicable to all types of quantum systems. Further research and development is needed to explore its full potential and limitations.