What Defines a Line as an Asymptote?

In summary, an asymptote is a straight line that a function approaches as the input values get closer and closer to a certain point or infinity. There are different types of asymptotes, including vertical and horizontal asymptotes, which have specific conditions that must be met. A slant asymptote is another type that involves a polynomial being used in place of a straight line.
lntz
Hello,

i'm having some trouble understanding the definition of an asymptote, or rather the conditions that must be met in order for a line to be one.

I have;

"Let [itex]f : A \longrightarrow B[/itex] be a function and [itex]A \subset R[/itex], [itex]B \subset R[/itex]. A straight line is called an asymptote if one of the following conditions is met;

1. The straight line is vertical (to the x-axis) and goes through a point [itex](x_{0}, 0)[/itex]
and we have [itex]lim_{x \longrightarrow x_{0}} |f(x)| = \infty[/itex]

2. The straight line can be described as an affine linear function, that is as [itex]g(x) = mx + c[/itex] and we have either [itex]lim_{x \longrightarrow \infty} (f(x) - g(x)) = 0[/itex] or [itex]lim_{x \longrightarrow - \infty} (f(x) - g(x)) = 0[/itex]"

I think I understand the first condition. As the values of [itex]x[/itex] approach some value [itex]x_{0}[/itex] the value of y tends towards infinity. i.e it tends towards a vertical straight line through [itex](x_{0}, 0)[/itex]. This fits the mental idea I had of an asymptote, but can it be applied to a function that has a horizontal asymptote such as the exponential function for example.

Perhaps this is where the second condition comes in, to cover those cases, but I am struggling to see what is going on...

Does it say that as [itex]x[/itex] tends towards a value [itex](x_{0}[/itex] the y value of the functions are equal since their difference is zero?

I don't see how this covers the scenario of horizontal asymptotes unless it's ok to turn the argument around the other way.

Thanks for any help you can give, and sorry for my bad LaTeX limits...

Jacob.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Horizonatal asymptotes are covered if you let m = 0 in the equation g(x) = mx + c.

BTW, I changed all of your [ tex ] tags to [ itex ] (for inline LaTeX). The [ tex ] tags render their contents on a separate line, which breaks up expressions that probably shouldn't be broken up.

Also, I find it easier to use ## in place of [ itex ] and $$ in place of [ tex ]. Whichever one you use, put a pair of these symbols at the front and rear of the expression you're working with.

Hey, this is how I picture it, may help you..

Vertical asymptote:

[itex]lim_{x \longrightarrow x_{0}} |f(x)| = \infty[/itex] where [itex] x_{0}[/itex] is a critical point.Horizontal asymptote:

[itex]lim_{x \longrightarrow \infty} f(x) = [/itex] any finite number
And you shall check +[itex] \infty[/itex] and -[itex] \infty[/itex]

Last edited:
A the line ##y=mx+b## is a slant asymptote for a function ##f(x)## if ##\lim_{x\to\infty}[f(x)-mx-b]=0##.
You can replace the line with another polynomial for other types of asymptotes at infinity. Vertical and horizontal asymptotes are in others' posts.

Hello Jacob,

An asymptote is a line that a graph approaches but never touches. It can be vertical, horizontal, or oblique. The conditions listed in the definition you provided are specific to a function f(x) and its graph. The first condition states that if there is a vertical asymptote at x = x_{0}, then the limit of the function as x approaches x_{0} is infinity. This means that the graph of the function gets closer and closer to the vertical line x = x_{0} as x gets larger or smaller, but it never actually touches the line.

The second condition is for horizontal asymptotes. It states that if there is a horizontal asymptote at y = g(x), then the difference between the function f(x) and the linear function g(x) approaches 0 as x gets larger or smaller. This means that the graph of the function gets closer and closer to the horizontal line y = g(x) as x gets larger or smaller, but it never actually touches the line.

So, in the case of the exponential function, it has a horizontal asymptote at y = 0. This means that as x gets larger or smaller, the difference between the exponential function and the horizontal line y = 0 approaches 0. This is because the exponential function approaches 0 as x approaches infinity or negative infinity.

I hope this helps clarify the definition of an asymptote for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in understanding mathematical concepts!

Related to What Defines a Line as an Asymptote?

1. What is the definition of an asymptote?

An asymptote is a line or curve that a graph approaches but never touches. It can be horizontal, vertical, or oblique.

2. What does an asymptote represent in a graph?

An asymptote represents the behavior of a graph as it approaches infinity or a specific value. It helps to understand the overall shape and direction of the graph.

3. How do you find the equation of an asymptote?

The equation of an asymptote can be found by analyzing the behavior of the graph as x approaches infinity or a specific value. For horizontal asymptotes, the equation is y = a, where a is the y-value that the graph approaches. For vertical asymptotes, the equation is x = a, where a is the x-value that the graph approaches.

4. What is the difference between a horizontal and vertical asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote is a line that the graph approaches but never crosses as x approaches infinity. It represents the long-term behavior of the graph. On the other hand, a vertical asymptote is a line that the graph approaches but never crosses as x approaches a specific value. It represents a discontinuity or a point where the function is undefined.

5. Can a graph have more than one asymptote?

Yes, a graph can have multiple asymptotes, both horizontal and vertical. This is common in rational functions, where the behavior of the graph can change as x approaches different values. It is important to analyze the behavior of the graph in different regions to accurately determine the number and type of asymptotes.