Definition of a limit of a sequence

In summary: That makes the desired quantity < ε for all ε > 0. That's the definition of the limit.[/INDENT]In summary, the problem is to prove that lim [(1+an)-1] = 1/2 using the definition of a limit. The solution involves choosing an arbitrary epsilon and showing that for n greater than some N, the difference between an and 1 is less than this epsilon. This is done by selecting epsilon' as 1/2 and using the fact that lim an = 1 to show that an is greater than 1/2. Then, by choosing epsilon' as the minimum of epsilon and 1/2, it is shown that the desired quantity is less than epsilon for all
lizarton

Homework Statement

Use the definition of a limit to prove that lim [(1+an)-1] = 1/2 if lim an = 1.

Homework Equations

([itex]\forall[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex]>0)([itex]\exists[/itex]N[itex]\in[/itex]N)(n[itex]\geq[/itex]N [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]|an-L|<[itex]\epsilon[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]\epsilon[/itex] be arbitrary. Since lim an exists, [itex]\exists[/itex]N[itex]\in[/itex]N such than |an-1|<[itex]\epsilon[/itex]'.

My professor helped me a bit, but once we started comparing two different epsilons, I couldn't follow him anymore. He said to choose [itex]\epsilon[/itex]'< 1/2 since 1/2 < an, but I don't understand why we can say that the sequence is greater than or equal to 1/2 since we only know the value of its limit.

Any help would be appreciated, I've always had a hard time with the rigorous definitions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Let me try to read his mind.
Since lim an exists, ∃N∈ such than |an-1| < ϵ'.

Letting ϵ' = 1/2, since it is arbitrary, gives: |an-1| < 1/2  → -1/2 < an-1 < 1/2

Therefore, 1/2 < an < 3/2.  It's the 1/2 < an you're interested in.

If an > 1/2, then 2(an + 1) > 3  → [itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{2(a_n+1)}<\frac{1}{3}[/itex]
That should be handy in working with |(1+an)-1 - 1/2|, when you write that as one fraction with a common denominator.

So then, we have showed that 1/(1+a_n) < epsilon'/3 < epsilon', but is this the end of the proof? I guess my question is, when does the other epsilon come in? or is epsilon' just our other epsilon in disguise? Thank you so much! I could use a mind-reader for this professor :)

Also, if you wouldn't mind--(this homework is due in an hour, so this is more for my understanding)--in general, how do we know how to choose epsilon so that it will give us the result we are looking for? Is there a reason choosing epsilon'=1/2 was particularly useful for this problem?

lizarton said:
So then, we have showed that 1/(1+a_n) < epsilon'/3 < epsilon', but is this the end of the proof? I guess my question is, when does the other epsilon come in? or is epsilon' just our other epsilon in disguise? Thank you so much! I could use a mind-reader for this professor :)

No, that's not the complete proof.

Let ε' = min(ε, 1/2)

Then you have N∊ such that for n > N, |an-1| < ε' ≤ 1/2
This leads to 1/(2|an+1|) < 1/3.

Also, for n > N, |an-1| < ε' ≤ ε

Put them together, & you get (the desired quantity) < ε/3 < ε​

Related to Definition of a limit of a sequence

1. What is the definition of a limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is a value that a sequence approaches as the number of terms in the sequence increases. It is denoted by the symbol lim and is often written as limn→∞ an = L, where an is the nth term of the sequence and L is the limit.

2. Why is the concept of a limit important in the study of sequences?

The concept of a limit is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of a sequence as the number of terms increases. It helps us understand if a sequence converges to a specific value or if it diverges and does not have a definite value. Additionally, limits can be used to prove the convergence or divergence of a sequence, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science.

3. How is the limit of a sequence different from the limit of a function?

The limit of a sequence and the limit of a function are two different concepts, although they both involve the concept of approaching a value. The limit of a sequence deals with the behavior of a sequence as the number of terms increases, while the limit of a function deals with the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. In other words, the limit of a sequence is a value that the terms in the sequence approach, while the limit of a function is a value that the function approaches as the input approaches a certain value.

4. Can a sequence have more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. The limit of a sequence is a unique value that the terms in the sequence approach as the number of terms increases. If a sequence has multiple limits, then it is not a well-defined sequence and does not follow the properties of a convergent sequence.

5. What are some real-life applications of limits of sequences?

Limits of sequences have many real-life applications, particularly in science and technology. For example, in physics, limits of sequences are used to model the motion of objects and predict their behavior. In computer science, limits of sequences are used in algorithms and data structures to optimize performance and solve complex problems. Additionally, limits of sequences are also used in economics, statistics, and other fields to make predictions and analyze data.