Definition of a limit of a function confusion

In summary, the statement ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = L## is equivalent to the statement ##\lim_{x \to 0} f(x+a) = L##.
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

Show that ##\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = L## if and only if ##\lim_{x \to 0} f(x+a) = L##

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

For the forward direction (ie ##1 \Rightarrow 2##), I tried to first assume that 1. holds true (ie ##\forall \epsilon>0, \exists \delta>0, \forall x \neq a, x \in A, |x-a|<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x)-L|<\epsilon##). Then, I let ##x+a=t##, and then by our choice of ##t## we will have ##|x|=|t-a|##, then if we choose ##\delta## such that ##|t-a|<\delta##, it follows ##|f(t)-L|<\epsilon##, so ##|f(x+a)-L|<\epsilon## proving statement 2.

However, I'm not quite sure if my argument is correct. The main concern I have is the chance that ##t \notin A##, so we couldn't apply the definition to this case. If the above can't be done, which would be a better way to solve the problem?

Thank you for your help.​

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is fine. You just need to rewrite your proof in a way that makes it a bit more clear how you're using the assumption and the definition of limit. For example like this: (Since you have solved the problem, I don't think it's against the rules to show you my version).

Let ##\varepsilon>0## be arbitrary. Suppose that ##\lim_{x\to a} f(x)=L##. Let ##\delta>0## be such that for all ##x\in A##,
$$0<|x-a|<\delta\ \Rightarrow\ |f(x)-L|<\delta.$$ For all ##x\in A## such that ##0<|x|<\delta##, we have ##0<|(x+a)-a|<\delta##, and therefore ##|f(x+a)-L|<\varepsilon##. This implies that ##\lim_{x\to 0}f(x+a)=L##.

Last edited:

Related to Definition of a limit of a function confusion

What is the definition of a limit of a function?

The limit of a function is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is the value that the function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to the specified value, and it may or may not be equal to the output at that value.

How do you determine the limit of a function?

To determine the limit of a function, you must take the input value and approach it from both sides, the left and the right. If the output value approaches the same value from both sides, then that value is the limit. If the output values approach different values from each side, then the limit does not exist.

What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the input approaches the specified value from one side, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior from both the left and right sides, and the limit only exists if the behavior is the same from both sides.

Why is understanding limits important in calculus?

Limits are an essential concept in calculus because they allow us to understand the behavior of functions at specific points and to compute other important concepts, such as derivatives and integrals. They also help us understand the behavior of a function as it approaches certain values, which is crucial in many areas of science and engineering.

What are some common misconceptions about limits of functions?

One common misconception is that the limit must always be equal to the output value at the specified input. In reality, the limit may or may not be equal to the output, and it is determined by the behavior of the function as the input approaches the specified value. Another misconception is that the limit only exists if the output values approach the same value from both sides, when in fact, it may also exist if the output values approach different values from each side but still converge to a single value.