Definition of a differentiable function

In summary, a differentiable function is a mathematical function that is continuous and has a derivative at every point within its domain. It can be determined by graphing the function or using calculus techniques. The main difference between differentiable and continuous functions is that a differentiable function must have a well-defined tangent line or slope at every point. A function can be differentiable at some points but not others, and differentiable functions have many uses in science and mathematics for modeling and predicting real-world phenomena.
Dragonfall
I need to know the definition of a differentiable function at a point in Banach spaces, my notes has a certain ambiguity and I can't find a book with the definition. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The wiki ones do not correspond (though I'm sure they are equivalent) to what we use. I found my definition from some obscure source, but thanks anyway.

Related to Definition of a differentiable function

1. What is the definition of a differentiable function?

A differentiable function is a mathematical function that is continuous and has a derivative at every point within its domain. This means that at every point, the function has a well-defined tangent line or slope.

2. How can you determine if a function is differentiable?

A function is differentiable if it meets the definition of a differentiable function, which requires that the function is continuous and has a derivative at every point within its domain. This can be determined by graphing the function and analyzing its behavior or by using calculus techniques to find the derivative.

3. What is the difference between a differentiable function and a continuous function?

A continuous function is one that can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper, meaning there are no breaks or gaps in the graph. A differentiable function, on the other hand, not only must be continuous, but it must also have a well-defined tangent line or slope at every point within its domain.

4. Can a function be differentiable at some points but not others?

Yes, a function can be differentiable at some points but not others. This is because the definition of a differentiable function requires the function to be continuous and have a derivative at every point within its domain. If the function is not continuous or does not have a derivative at a certain point, then it is not differentiable at that point.

5. What are the uses of differentiable functions in science and mathematics?

Differentiable functions are used in many areas of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, economics, and more. They are essential for modeling and predicting real-world phenomena and are used in fields such as optimization, machine learning, and differential equations.