Definite integration, even function. confused about proof

There is nothing to indicate that he used the theorem you refer to. In summary, the author proves that if f is an even function and integrable on the closed interval [-a,a], then the integral from -a to a of f(x) is equal to twice the integral from 0 to a of f(x). The proof involves substituting u = -x and then relabeling the variable back to x. This does not change the integrand or the limits, and therefore the theorem mentioned earlier is not utilized in the proof.
InaudibleTree

Homework Statement

Let [itex]f[/itex] be integrable on the closed interval [itex][-a,a][/itex]

If [itex]f[/itex] is an even function, then
[itex]\int^a_{-a}f(x)\,dx[/itex] = [itex]2\int^a_0f(x)\,dx[/itex]

Prove this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is given in the book.

Because [itex]f[/itex] is even, you know that [itex]f(x) = f(-x)[/itex]. Using the substitution [itex]u = -x[/itex] produces

[itex]\int^0_{-a}f(x)\,dx =\int^0_af(-u)\,(-du) = -\int^0_af(u)\,du
=\int^a_0f(u)\,du = \int^a_0f(x)\,dx[/itex]

Now that part that confuses me is [itex]\int^a_0f(u)\,du = \int^a_0f(x)\,dx[/itex]

Wouldnt [itex]u=-x[/itex] mean [itex]du=-dx[/itex] which would produce [itex]\int^a_0f(u)\,du = -\int^a_0f(x)\,dx[/itex]

I know my reasoning must fall apart somewhere, since that would mean

If [itex]f[/itex] is an even function, then [itex]\int^a_{-a}f(x)\,dx = 0[/itex].

I just cannot see how my reasoning is wrong.

If it makes any difference this is the remainder of the proof in the book.

[itex]\int^a_{-a}f(x)\,dx =\int^0_{-a}f(x)\,dx + \int^a_0f(x)\,dx
=\int^a_0f(x)\,dx + \int^a_0f(x)\,dx = 2\int^a_0f(x)\,dx[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
You can label the integration variable in a definite integral with any letter, it does not change anything. The definite integral is completely determined by the function under the integral sign and its limits. ## \int_a^b f(x)dx = \int_a^b f(u)du = \int_a^b f(\xi)d\xi = \int_a^b f(\mathfrak{S})d\mathfrak{S} ##

InaudibleTree said:
Now that part that confuses me is [itex]\int^a_0f(u)\,du = \int^a_0f(x)\,dx[/itex]

Wouldnt [itex]u=-x[/itex] mean [itex]du=-dx[/itex] which would produce [itex]\int^a_0f(u)\,du = -\int^a_0f(x)\,dx[/itex]

No because switching [itex] u \leftrightarrow x [/itex] you also have to switch the limits of
integration, which is what you did in the first place but don't do here!

[itex]u=-x[/itex] mean [itex]du=-dx[/itex] which would produce [itex]\int^a_0f(u)\,du = -\int^{-a}_0 f(x)\,dx[/itex]

Oh right. I see the mistake I made. Thanks qbert.

But I still don't see how that leads to [itex]\int^0_{-a}f(x)\,dx = \int^a_0f(x)\,dx[/itex]

voko said:
You can label the integration variable in a definite integral with any letter, it does not change anything. The definite integral is completely determined by the function under the integral sign and its limits. ## \int_a^b f(x)dx = \int_a^b f(u)du = \int_a^b f(\xi)d\xi = \int_a^b f(\mathfrak{S})d\mathfrak{S} ##

I was looing at it as if the author was using a theorem he proved earlier in the text:

If [itex]u=g(x)[/itex] has a continuous derivative on the closed interval [itex][a,b][/itex] and [itex]f[/itex] is continuous on the range of [itex]g[/itex], then

[itex]\int^b_af(g(x))g'(x)\,dx = \int^{g(b)}_{g(a)}f(u)\,du[/itex]

Im not completley sure but, it would seem the author did use it until he got to the point [itex]\int^a_0f(u)\,du = \int^a_0f(x)\,dx[/itex]

Are you saying that when the author got to that point he didnt change the variable, but just relabled it?

A real change of variables typically changes both the integrand and the limits. This is what the author had till the final step. Then, yes, he simply re-labeled the variable. How can you tell? It did not change the integrand, nor the limits.

Related to Definite integration, even function. confused about proof

1. What is definite integration?

Definite integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve between two specific points on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a continuous function within a certain interval.

2. What is an even function?

An even function is a mathematical function that satisfies the property f(x) = f(-x) for all values of x. This means that the graph of the function is symmetrical about the y-axis. In other words, the function outputs the same value for positive and negative inputs.

3. How is definite integration related to even functions?

Definite integration can be used to find the area under the curve of an even function between two points. This is because the symmetry of even functions allows us to simplify the integration process, making it easier to calculate the total area.

4. Why is there confusion about the proof of definite integration for even functions?

The proof of definite integration for even functions can be confusing because it involves manipulating the limits of integration and using the symmetry property of even functions. Additionally, there are multiple ways to prove this concept, which can lead to confusion for some individuals.

5. How can I better understand the proof of definite integration for even functions?

To better understand the proof of definite integration for even functions, it can be helpful to review the properties of even functions and practice solving integration problems involving even functions. Additionally, seeking clarification from a teacher or tutor can also aid in better understanding the proof.