Definite Integral Homework: Evaluate the Integral

In summary, a definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve on a given interval. To evaluate a definite integral, you need to find the antiderivative of the function and use the upper and lower limits of the interval to find the numerical value. The definite integral is the inverse operation of derivatives according to the fundamental theorem of calculus. It can also be used to find the average value of a function on an interval. There are techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and recognizing patterns that can make evaluating definite integrals easier, but a strong understanding of the fundamentals is necessary.
zeno23

Homework Statement

Evaluate the definite integral.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\int_{1}^{2} ( 2e^{-4x} -\frac{1}{x^2} ) dx
[/tex]

Answer given by the book: [tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^{-4}-e^{-8}-1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

u = 4x; x = u/4; du = 4 dx; dx = du/4;

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int e^{-u} du - 4\int u^{-2} du[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int_{1}^{2} e^{-4x} dx - 4\int_{1}^{2} \frac{1}{16x^2} dx[/tex]

... and I continue down this path to wind up with:

[tex] \frac{1}{2e^8}-\frac{1}{2e^4}-\frac{21}{32}[/tex]

In other words, I've apparently no idea what I'm doing, and would appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
zeno23 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the definite integral.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\int_{1}^{2} ( 2e^{-4x} -\frac{1}{x^2} ) dx
[/tex]

Answer given by the book: [tex]\frac{1}{2}(e^{-4}-e^{-8}-1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

u = 4x; x = u/4; du = 4 dx; dx = du/4;

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int e^{-u} du - 4\int u^{-2} du[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int_{1}^{2} e^{-4x} dx - 4\int_{1}^{2} \frac{1}{16x^2} dx[/tex]

... and I continue down this path to wind up with:

[tex] \frac{1}{2e^8}-\frac{1}{2e^4}-\frac{21}{32}[/tex]

In other words, I've apparently no idea what I'm doing, and would appreciate any help.

Split the integral into two integrals:
[tex]\int_{1}^{2} 2e^{-4x} dx - \int_{1}^2 x^{-2}} dx[/tex]

It looks like you are letting your substitution slop over into the 2nd part of your integral.

For your substitution use u = -4x, so du = -4 dx.

After you have found an antiderivative for the 1st integral, undo your substitution and evaluate the antiderivative at x = 2 and x = 1.

Alternatively, you can write new limits of integration for the 1st integral by converting the two values of x into values of u.

Wait, I got it. It should just be e^u, so e^(-4*2). /facepalm

Thanks again.

----------------

Thanks for the response. I've managed to arrive at the proper answer, but I don't grasp the logic completely. I start with:

[tex] \int_{1}^{2} 2e^{-4x}[/tex]

I set u=-4x and dx=(-1/4) du, so then:
[tex] - \frac{1}{2} \int e^u du = -\frac{ e^{ \frac{u^2}{2} } }{2}[/tex].

Putting this back into terms of X, I get: [tex] -\frac{e^{\frac{(-4x)^2}{2}}}{2} [/tex]

But I it looks like it should be [tex] -\frac{e^{-4\frac{x^2}{2}}}{2} [/tex]. When I use this, I get the proper answer. Since u=(-4x), why do we multiply x^2 by -4 in the final step rather than (-4x)^2 ?

Last edited:
Your antiderivative is wrong.
[tex]\int e^u du = e^u + C[/tex]

BTW, in your original work, you used the same substitution on the 2nd part of your integral, which is the wrong thing to do.

Related to Definite Integral Homework: Evaluate the Integral

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve on a given interval. It represents the sum of infinitely small areas under the curve and is denoted by the symbol ∫.

2. How do I evaluate a definite integral?

To evaluate a definite integral, you need to follow a specific process. First, you need to find the antiderivative of the function. Then, plug in the upper and lower limits of the interval into the antiderivative and take the difference. This will give you the numerical value of the definite integral.

3. What is the relationship between definite integrals and derivatives?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the definite integral of a function is equal to the difference of its antiderivative at the upper and lower limits of the interval. In other words, the definite integral is the inverse operation of derivatives.

4. Can I use definite integrals to find the average value of a function?

Yes, you can use definite integrals to find the average value of a function on a given interval. To do this, you need to divide the definite integral of the function by the length of the interval. This will give you the average value of the function on that interval.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to evaluating definite integrals?

There are a few techniques that can make evaluating definite integrals easier. These include using substitution, integration by parts, and recognizing patterns in the function. However, it is important to understand the fundamentals of definite integrals before using these shortcuts.