Defining symmetric mappings of R^3

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symmetric
In summary, there are multiple ways to determine if a matrix is symmetric using the given basis β = {(1,1,0), (1,0,-1), (2,1,0)} for R3. These include using the definition of a symmetric matrix, checking if the matrix is diagonalizable, and using the basis transformation property. Good luck with your calculations!
trap101
Consider the basis β = {(1,1,0), (1,0,-1) , (2,1,0)} for R3. Which of the following matrices A = [T]ββ (where T is the transformation) define symmetric mappings of R3?

Attempt/ Issue: The properties that I know that define a matrix being symmetric are that <T(X), Y> = <X,T(Y)> i.e the innner products of the vectors x,y where x,y are in the vector space.

What I'm tempted to do is multiply each of the basis vectors above by the matrix given and take the inner product with each of the the vectors not being multiplied by the matrix and compare them. So for example take (1,1,0) multiply it by the matrix, then take the inner product of my result with (1,0,-1). Then do the same procedure but instead multiplying (1,0,-1) by the matrix and then taking the inner product with (1,1,0). Compare them and proceed with the other combinations of basis vectors given.

Is that what they're asking of me? That's sort of where I'm having the issue. Because I don't know of many other ways of showing if the matrices are symmetric while using that basis. Of course I could diagonalize the matrices but I don't think that's what I'm meant to do.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear poster,

Thank you for your question. Your approach of using the inner product to determine if the matrices are symmetric is a valid one. However, there are a few other ways you can show if a matrix is symmetric using the given basis.

1. Use the definition of a symmetric matrix: A matrix A is symmetric if it is equal to its transpose, i.e. A = A^T. So for each of the given matrices, you can calculate its transpose and see if it is equal to the original matrix.

2. Check if the matrix is diagonalizable: A matrix is symmetric if and only if it is diagonalizable. So you can calculate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of each matrix and see if it is diagonalizable.

3. Use the basis transformation property: The transformation matrix [T]ββ is symmetric if and only if the basis vectors are eigenvectors of the matrix A. So you can calculate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of each matrix and see if they match with the basis vectors given.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

Related to Defining symmetric mappings of R^3

1. What is a symmetric mapping of R^3?

A symmetric mapping of R^3 is a type of function that maps points in a three-dimensional space onto themselves. This means that for any given point, the function will produce the same result when applied to its reflection across a plane of symmetry.

2. How is symmetry defined in mathematics?

Symmetry in mathematics is defined as a characteristic or property of a geometric shape, equation, or function that remains unchanged when certain operations are performed on it, such as translation, rotation, or reflection.

3. What are some examples of symmetric mappings of R^3?

Some examples of symmetric mappings of R^3 include reflections across a plane, rotations around an axis, and translations along a vector. Other examples include the identity mapping, which maps each point to itself, and the inversion mapping, which maps each point to its reflection across the origin.

4. How are symmetric mappings of R^3 useful in real-world applications?

Symmetric mappings of R^3 are useful in a variety of real-world applications, such as computer graphics, image processing, and geometry. They can also be used to model physical phenomena, such as the motion of objects in a three-dimensional space.

5. What are the properties of symmetric mappings of R^3?

Some properties of symmetric mappings of R^3 include that they are bijective (one-to-one and onto), preserve distances and angles, and form a group under function composition. They also have a center of symmetry, which is the point that remains fixed under the mapping.