Default thread watching option when replying to a thread

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary, you can change the default option for thread notifications by unchecking the box for email notifications in the preferences section of the mobile skin. This can be done by going to My PF, then Preferences, and unchecking the option for receiving email notifications of replies.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Whenever I reply to a thread, I find that I start getting email notifications for future posts in the thread. I have to manually change this by unwatching the thread, and again watch it without receiving emails notifications.

Is there a way I can change this default option, such that when I reply to any thread, then I automatically start watching it without email notifications?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Just uncheck the box for getting email notifications on threads you have replied to in preferences.

With the mobile skin, My PF, then Preferences. The first option is

Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...​

which has a sub-option:

and receive email notifications of replies​

Uncheck the second one.

Likes weirdoguy
Orodruin said:
Yes. Just uncheck the box for getting email notifications on threads you have replied to in preferences.

Ibix said:
With the mobile skin, My PF, then Preferences. The first option is

Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...​

which has a sub-option:

and receive email notifications of replies​

Uncheck the second one.

Got it. Thanks.

1. What is the default thread watching option when replying to a thread?

The default thread watching option when replying to a thread is typically set to "subscribe" or "follow". This means that you will receive notifications when there are new replies to the thread.

2. Can I change the default thread watching option?

Yes, most platforms allow you to change the default thread watching option. You can usually do this in your account settings or by adjusting the notification preferences for the specific thread.

3. What happens if I don't change the default thread watching option?

If you do not change the default thread watching option, you will continue to receive notifications for new replies to the thread. This can be helpful if you want to stay updated on the conversation.

4. Is there a way to turn off thread watching altogether?

Yes, you can usually turn off thread watching by changing your notification preferences for the specific thread or by adjusting your account settings. This will prevent you from receiving any notifications for new replies to the thread.

5. Why is thread watching important for online discussions?

Thread watching allows you to stay updated on the conversation and participate in a timely manner. It also helps to keep the discussion organized and prevents you from missing important updates or replies from other users.